Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   tiger,tape (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tiger-tape-t90273.html)

Patricia Ann 01-13-2011 06:35 PM

I have two question 1. has any one here use tiger tape for placing stitches and 2. does any or can anyone tell me how to use a wing needle in a quilt design Thanks

CoyoteQuilts 01-13-2011 07:42 PM

Never used tiger tape. but why would you want to use a wing needle for quilting? Wing needles leave a small hole where they go through the fabric. One of the uses with these needles is when you want to crochet an edge around the outside of a piece of fabric. They put the holes needed in the fabric for your crochet thread to go through.

Patricia Ann 01-13-2011 07:47 PM

the wing needles i found a quilt pattern that call for a wing needle it was applique by embroider machine. I will look up my bernina book and see if I can find anything on wing needles. Thanks

donnalynett 01-13-2011 10:39 PM

I have been curious about the tape also. I'm always leary about spending $ on something without finding out from others what they think about it.

dgmoby 01-14-2011 02:44 AM

I don't know anything at all about the tiger tape, but once I was told it's used to help you pace your stitching - the size of stitches I mean. At least, I think this is what I remember being told. I've never used it, so that's all I know - but it looks handy if I was just starting to learn hand quilting.

Debbie in Austin

sewcrafty 01-14-2011 06:54 AM

I usually recommend tiger tape to individuals that are just starting out in hand quilting. When I started hand quilting I used this tape to gauge my stitches. You start with say the #9 tape and work yourself up. It assists in getting the feel of where you need to go up and down to get an even stitch.

donnalynett 01-14-2011 08:54 AM

I must be thinking about something else....the tape I have been looking at is for making corner to corner stitching so you have an accurate seam and then cut the center for your half squares.

sewcrafty 01-14-2011 09:06 AM

OK yep they have some out with a new tiger tape product that is to make HST's. sorry :oops: Totally forgot about that. You just place that corner to corner and then sew along the tape for your 1/4" and slice right up the middle.

stpatmom 01-14-2011 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by donnalynett
I must be thinking about something else....the tape I have been looking at is for making corner to corner stitching so you have an accurate seam and then cut the center for your half squares.

Could you be thinking of thangles? It's paper strips that you pin to fabric strips then sew and cut for accurate half square triangles.

donnalynett 01-14-2011 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by stpatmom

Originally Posted by donnalynett

Could you be thinking of thangles? It's paper strips that you pin to fabric strips then sew and cut for accurate half square triangles.

I always wondered what "thangles" are! The type I have been looking at stick down to the fabric and are reusable.