Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tip from Kitsie #2 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tip-kitsie-2-a-t42604.html)

Kitsie 04-13-2010 10:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
After searching repeatedly for just the perfect curve for a new size fabric piece, even going to the barn to borrow a garbage can lid, using a pizza pan, a saucer or the microwave plate I finally got smart! Got some of the sheet template plastic (so worth the extra pennies, doesn't curl, heavier plastic) and traced different curved objects on it.

You can make tons from just one sheet by nesting them so that the inside curve is smaller than the outside. Boy, has this worked wonderfully especially for this quilt with its many curve sizes needed!

All from one 8 x 11 sheet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]56641[/ATTACH]

This one will work!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]56642[/ATTACH]

quiltsRfun 04-13-2010 10:45 AM

So you use it as a guide when you're quilting? Does it work with a free motion foot? I've thought about something like that but wondered if the foot would hop over the edge of the template.

Darlene 04-13-2010 11:08 AM

Thanks for the tip I keep this plastic around here for templates all the time.

Kitsie 04-13-2010 11:16 AM

No - I trace around it with chalk or a marking pen, remove it, then sew the curve!

They slip into a clear sleeve in my binder quite nicely.

RedGarnet222 04-13-2010 12:12 PM

Kitsie,
This was a good idea. I bit the bullet and bought a couple different type circle templets and a acrylc all in one that has the curves open to trace with. (I can't remember the name of it right now) Then if I really need something I don't have I use my french curve set I bought for dressmaking.
This looks like it would save someone a ton of money. Nice post!

dkabasketlady 04-13-2010 01:48 PM

Great idea!!

Pat G 04-13-2010 02:24 PM

Kitsie, I am so grateful for your showing these templates to us. I am just beginning totry free motion. Now I know why they say it takes "practice, practice, practice". Oh my, what a challenge that's going to be but I'm determined to learn it. So many of my wallhangings look unfinished without it. Seeing your templates gives me ideas. Thanks
Pat

Kitsie 04-13-2010 04:30 PM

Glad to help Pat J! I'm a "ways and means" person. If you don't have the means, find the ways.

Oklahoma Suzie 04-13-2010 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
After searching repeatedly for just the perfect curve for a new size fabric piece, even going to the barn to borrow a garbage can lid, using a pizza pan, a saucer or the microwave plate I finally got smart! Got some of the sheet template plastic (so worth the extra pennies, doesn't curl, heavier plastic) and traced different curved objects on it.

You can make tons from just one sheet by nesting them so that the inside curve is smaller than the outside. Boy, has this worked wonderfully especially for this quilt with its many curve sizes needed!

great idea.

Pat G 04-13-2010 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Glad to help Pat J! I'm a "ways and means" person. If you don't have the means, find the ways.

Kitsie, I'm with you on the "ways & means" method. I've always done that & people think I'm so smart because of the solutions I manage to come up with. LOL. They don't realize that all you have to do is use your mind & ideas come to you.

We were a Navy family (20 yrs.) so we had NO extra $ at all so I had to get creative to do crafts. Like making a birdcage from a wire coathanger.

Now my passion is my quilting. That's why I enjoy people talking about their stashes. Boy, can I relate to that.

Pat