Tips from a seasoned quilter…
Just a few tips from someone who has been quilting for years:
• No matter how new you are to quilting, your work is a piece of ART. Enjoy it.
• Always, always square your blocks before putting the top together even when you are going to use sashing (the strips between the blocks).
• Press and then measure twice before cutting. You will save a lot of seam ripping!
• Quilting is more about the process than the giving. Enjoy the process and think of the giving as an added bonus.
• When putting together pieces smaller than 4 inches across and matching seams, match the seam on both sides for more accurate piecing.
• When possible, waste a little fabric to save a LOT of stress. Add a ¼ inch to blocks that can be squared to size before finishing the block. If it’s a 4 square block, add a ¼ inch to the pattern piece cut size and square after piecing. If it’s a 9 patch, square a pair before adding the 3rd row and square again before putting the blocks together. It’s easier to have a little more fabric to work with when squaring than to be off by 1/8 of an inch and try to work with it.
• The flaws we see in our own work are rarely ever noticed by those who admire our work. It’s best not to show off the flaws but just think of them as your own twist on the Art Work. (see bullet #1)
• And my personal favorite! There NEVER needs to be a reason to purchase or acquire more fabric any more than there needs to be a reason to eat chocolate.
Feel free to add more!
Love your tips. Right on the money!
Starch is your friend... your very best friend when it comes to quilting!
Thanks so much for those tips... I think the first one is my favorite since I'm a 'newbie'
Awesome tips! I will add them to my notebook! Thank you!
You will ALWAYS be able to find help, answers, encouragement, and inspiration...right here on the QB...from all your new friends.
Thanks everyone for all the help you have given me thus far!
I have been quilting for a long time, as well. I find a large part of the joy of quilting is in the 'journey'! Just relax and enjoy what you are doing while you are doing it. It is a great feeling to finish a quilt, but have fun in the making of it.
My best wishes to all you quilters, old and new!!
Amen to that GemState! I always say the same thing - enjoy the journey whether it's in quilting or in life. We always seem to be speeding towards one finsih line or another, but the journey is where we spend most of our time so it should be savored and enjoyed. :-)