Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tips on using new birthday gift...a Brother SQ9050 100 stitch machine.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tips-using-new-birthday-gift-brother-sq9050-100-stitch-machine-t208501.html)

koigirl 12-15-2012 08:38 AM

Tips on using new birthday gift...a Brother SQ9050 100 stitch machine....

A couple weeks ago, my DH surprised me with a new sewing machine. I am so excited but haven't had a chance to set it up and practice. DH also build me a huge sewing table and I am working on getting my spare room organized. With the time crunch and Christmas on its way, it may be the new year before I can play. It has been a few years since I have even touched a machine so I am feeling challenged. I don't even have any material yet, except for some shirts that my husband does not wear anymore. Here's hoping I leave him any to wear. : )

The only machines I have ever sewn on before were just straight line sewing, no fancy stitches at all. I know that will comprise the majority of the sewing that I do, especially when piecing the quilts together. Practice will be my best teaching tool, but would like to know of any tips and experiences you have had using a machine with this many stitches and functions, and it even as monogram stitching. I am not really sure about many things but am doing some reading to try and get my thoughts and ideas together.

Any help of any kind would be greatly appreciated. Even include the 'don'ts' if you have those too.

Thank you,
Vickie

PaperPrincess 12-15-2012 09:11 AM

Wow, what a wonderful gift. If he bought the machine from a dealer, you should take advantage of any lessons they offer.

Dolphyngyrl 12-15-2012 09:12 AM

if you use the 1/4 inch foot always be sure to change the stitch as soon as you turn on the machine, my big machine is always set on this stitch so i always forget on my little machine to change it to the second stitch otherwise you will strike the presser foot. Just to let you know this machine makes the most gorgeous buttonholes. The second stitch is the one I use for piecing. Hope you will love your as much as "I love mine, she is quite the little piecer but she can handle alot. its even fun to do the decorative stitches using bobbin work. All of the brother 7mm feet work on this machine. the cording and braiding feet are very fun to use. If you need any help I have used this machine quite a bit this year in numerous classes/projects and can probably answer most of your questions

cjr 12-15-2012 09:17 AM

Take a class from sewing center where the machine was purchased as soon as possible, then take a quilting class at a LQS. You will beginto build a fabric stash quicker then you imagine. It's happened to all of us.

Take a couple of deep breaths, hug your DH, then enjoy tohe process. Think of your machine as a toy

pocoellie 12-15-2012 09:20 AM

Even though my machine has tons of stitches, I very rarely use them, it does have some embroidery capabilities and I do use that when I make my labels, but still, it isn't often, since I'm not real fast with getting the actual quilt done. I have used some of my decorative stitches when making tee shirt quilts and quilt as you go quilts. I also would recommend taking classes if your DH purchased it from a dealer, other than that, I would just play around with it.

mdall 12-15-2012 09:41 AM

Wow, what a great gift. I have the Brothers CS 600i. I love all the stitches on it. I have yet to play with all of them like the button hole ones but most of the decorative stitches I have used and cant imagine not having them. Also the best part is that the feed dogs drop for FMQ. Just sit down and play on some scrap fabric. Once you find something you really like make sure you write it down in a small notebook or something dedicated to that machine. I wish I would have done that since the beginning. I now have stitches that I love on some projects but cant remember the exact settings other what stitch. Just have fun. My new machine had me giggling for weeks.

mtngrl 12-15-2012 09:47 AM

I have this machine for classes and travel, it is great!! The things to watch for are: Be sure you use your walking foot at a slow speed, it really is a w a l k i n g foot. When you turn the machine on it will be set for an off center stitch, always take the foot off before shutting it off if you are using a foot for straight stitch..ie the foot will now allow zig zag stitches, or you will dull/break your needle. The machine is very easy to use. You can use it without a foot pedal but you have to turn it on without the foot pedal attached for this to work. You have variable speed, needle threader and feed dog lowering (on the back) PM me if you have any ???'s I'd be happy to help you out.

koigirl 12-15-2012 09:57 AM

Great tips and suggestions so far. I wouldn't have ever thought to keep a notebook on details. Great idea. Thanks for letting me know about the needle setting when machine is turned on also. As for the local lessons and such, all of the fabric stores and dealers that used to be here are gone. I think the only place in town to buy fabric is our local WalMart, who are slowly bring back the fabrics, even FQ, jelly rolls and layer cakes. Keep it going.....now I'm off to my own closet for 'fabric' and maybe even my mother's closet...Hmmm...