Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tissue paper patterns for quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tissue-paper-patterns-quilting-t183574.html)

Buckeye Rose 03-21-2012 08:52 AM

Tissue paper patterns for quilting

I recently discovered tissue paper for quilting patterns and am amazed at how easy they can make quilting. However, after the stitching and then removing the tissue paper, I am left with tiny bits of paper stuck in the stitching, where one line will cross another. I have pulled loose as much as I can get without getting a magnifying glass and tweezers, but not happy with what is still there. Will these little bits come loose in the wash? I am really not wanting to get that "up close and personal" with the quilt....LOL!

Material Witness 03-21-2012 10:28 AM

Try a longer stitch length. I did this once with regular printer paper, and spent a good bit of time with tweezers. There are scrapbooking tweezers that open when squeezed, and are closed with no pressure that made the job easier. Since I am recovering from surgery and unable to work, I am sitting around doing nothing, so just send it to me and I'll be happy to work on it.

Hen3rietta 03-21-2012 11:06 AM

I use baking parchment paper and when finished give it a tug on each of the biases and that loosens up most of the bits.

JJean 03-21-2012 11:15 AM

I've heard of using shrink cling film. I don't think I got this right. I think it is a product used for food storage?? Anyway it is transparent and you can used frinctionless pens to draw quilting lines on it, quilt on it and then tear it off.

dunster 03-21-2012 11:52 AM

I'm working on a Judy Niemeyer paper pieced quilt right now. According to her directions, if you don't get all the tiny pieces out it's okay, because they will dissolve when the quilt is washed and become part of the quilt. I find that I can get 99.9% of the paper out by scratching the intersection with a nail (and I do NOT have long nails). I do use a short stitch when paper piecing.

Oops, just read your post again and think you may be using the tissue paper on the top of the quilt when you're quilting it. I think the same is true, and the paper will dissolve and go away. You could also spray it with water and see if it's easier to remove then.

Buckeye Rose 03-21-2012 12:08 PM

thanks....I think I will try washing when done and see what happens.....won't hurt it if they don't come loose, will just make me have to pick at them a bit more....LOL

katydidkg 03-22-2012 02:47 AM

Bonnie / Quiltville suggests using Kabinet wax. I bought a box at Sam's Club and love this paper for string quilts, etc.. I think there's 500 sheets in a box. She does suggest to use a smaller stitch length, then the paper tears away easily. www.quiltville.com

quilterella 03-22-2012 03:01 AM

I agree with katydidkg, using a smaller stitch allows the paper to tear more easily and spritzing it with water also helps with getting those hard little pieces. I have also used a pair of hemostats for removing the tiny pieces after spritzing with water. It is a very time consuming job. And the tiny pieces I didn't get, disappeared with washing the quilt. Good Luck.

BellaBoo 03-22-2012 06:14 AM

I have used tissue paper to machine quilt a border. I got the big pieces off and what was left in the stitches came out in the wash. I didn't use tweezers, if it didn't come out with the first pull it stayed in. I wouldn't use the paper if the quilt isn't meant to be washed.

kate henry 03-22-2012 11:21 AM

my daughter uses Glad Press'nSeal. I tried it and it work so good, as I am a newbie quilter.