Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Today's haul - don't forget about Craigslist! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/todays-haul-dont-forget-about-craigslist-t113224.html)

JulieR 04-03-2011 02:15 PM

Today, I visited the home of a lovely quilter about an hour away from me who was trying to de-stash. She had posted an ad on Craigslist and via email, I arranged to shop in her closet this afternoon. At the end of an hour, I came away with almost 100 yards of quilting fabric for $110!

I know a lot of us are already checking Craigslist for bargains but not everyone knows about it. In the For Sale section I always check Art and Crafts (first), then Free, Household and General. Once in a while I'll find something neat in Appliances, too.

Be sure to look for listings not only in your area, but also in surrounding towns because sometimes the deal is worth the drive (or the cost of gas can be offset by lining up other activities while you're there).

If you find the deal, pounce FAST, tell someone where you're going and take a friend. Meet the seller in a public place if you can (which I couldn't in this case so my husband went along instead).

Happy hunting!
Julie

PS - While I was there she asked if I knew anyone interested in a mid-arm that she wanted to let go for a song. I forgot to get the specifics before I left but if anyone near Harrisburg, PA, is interested I'll email her again.

KarenR 04-03-2011 02:18 PM

Can you find out the information about the mid-arm. Is it a machine and frame or just machine?

JulieR 04-03-2011 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by KarenR
Can you find out the information about the mid-arm. Is it a machine and frame or just machine?

Not sure, but I'll email her now. I was so excited with what I found I forgot all about it by the time I was leaving.

SueJ 04-03-2011 02:20 PM

Yes, I need to do that since I am not that far from Harrisburg, Frederick, Winchester & other big size towns. That could have been me but I am happy for you. Thanks for motivating me to check Craig's List!!

sueisallaboutquilts 04-03-2011 05:53 PM

That's fantastic!!! You must be giddy over all that fabric :D:D

JulieR 04-03-2011 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by KarenR

I just sent you a PM

JulieR 04-03-2011 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
That's fantastic!!! You must be giddy over all that fabric :D:D

Heck yeah! I'm VERY excited, it's like Christmas has come back around for me :)

OneMoreQuilt 04-03-2011 06:04 PM

Awesome. I haven't found any great fabric deals yet but a couple of weeks ago I found a great weaving loom.

JulieR 04-03-2011 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by SueJ
Yes, I need to do that since I am not that far from Harrisburg, Frederick, Winchester & other big size towns. That could have been me but I am happy for you. Thanks for motivating me to check Craig's List!!

Definitely - and don't forget about Baltimore and DC (including the Maryland burbs). I check Hagerstown and Frederick regularly, and Harrisburg, York, Baltimore and DC (which has the Maryland suburbs) at least once a week. It's amazing what's out there.

CarrieAnne 04-03-2011 06:07 PM

great find!