Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Too critical of your own work? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/too-critical-your-own-work-t48355.html)

bstanbro 06-04-2010 09:53 AM

I so often read posts where people are having a hard time enjoying quilting because they are so critical of their work. I keep wanting to share something, but I fear it's a copyright infringement. I think I have figured out a way to do it without stepping on anyone's toes.

When I learned to quilt two years ago, I took a course at our local community college. My quilting instructor did our class such a tremendous service by first reading an essay to us. It was the first thing she said or did. It's the single most important reason I have been able to be forgiving of my work and quilt for the sheer joy of it, becoming a better quilter in the process. (I still have a LOT to learn.)

It's an essay by Teri Christopherson entitled "The Perfect Quilt," and it's published in one of her books. I don't know which one. If you would like to read it, send me a PM with your email, and I will send it to you. (I don't think I'm infringing on a copyright if I do it this way. I'm not selling it after all.)

Until then, enjoy.

mrsdralshhadeh 06-04-2010 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by bstanbro
I so often read posts where people are having a hard time enjoying quilting because they are so critical of their work. I keep wanting to share something, but I fear it's a copyright infringement. I think I have figured out a way to do it without stepping on anyone's toes.

When I learned to quilt two years ago, I took a course at our local community college. My quilting instructor did our class such a tremendous service by first reading an essay to us. It was the first thing she said or did. It's the single most important reason I have been able to be forgiving of my work and quilt for the sheer joy of it, becoming a better quilter in the process. (I still have a LOT to learn.)

It's an essay by Teri Christopherson entitled "The Perfect Quilt," and it's published in one of her books. I don't know which one. If you would like to read it, send me a PM with your email, and I will send it to you. (I don't think I'm infringing on a copyright if I do it this way. I'm not selling it after all.)

Until then, enjoy.

Please send it to me,, I would live to read it!!! Thanks!!!

granniebj 06-04-2010 09:57 AM

I know the essay! I'm still very critical of my work. I never think its good enough...and I hate to show it to other quilters, since I consider them so much more talented then I. Oh well...I still enjoy quilting, and I know I get better with each one. Just hope I live long enough to be as talented as some of the ladies in here! lol

thequilteddove 06-04-2010 09:58 AM

My favorite thing to say and it can be applied to anything we do in life, "It's (I'm) perfect, perfectly imperfect!"

hazeljane 06-04-2010 10:54 AM

I always thing of the Amish, deliberately putting a mistake in the quilt because "Only God makes perfect." I laugh, because I NEVER have to add a mistake- there are always plenty already there.

For me, if it can be used and loved, and it was made the best that I can make it, it's fine. Quilts are love, and they shouldn't be stuck in a closet because the quilter doesn't think they are good enough. trust me, someone else will love it to death and appreciate it.

bstanbro 06-04-2010 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
I always thing of the Amish, deliberately putting a mistake in the quilt because "Only God makes perfect." I laugh, because I NEVER have to add a mistake- there are always plenty already there.

For me, if it can be used and loved, and it was made the best that I can make it, it's fine. Quilts are love, and they shouldn't be stuck in a closet because the quilter doesn't think they are good enough. trust me, someone else will love it to death and appreciate it.

You are so right. The Navajo intentionally weave mistakes into their beautiful rugs to let the evil spirits out. Definitely no evil spirits in my quilts.

reach for the stars 2 06-04-2010 11:01 AM

Yes give yourself a break or you will never like to do it. I tell my students practice practice and someday it might be perfect but I haven't got there yet.

bstanbro 06-04-2010 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by reach for the stars 2
Yes give yourself a break or you will never like to do it. I tell my students practice practice and someday it might be perfect but I haven't got there yet.

Where would be the fun in that? Being perfect, I mean.

bearisgray 06-04-2010 12:36 PM

The best one can do with what one has and what one knows now -

what more can be asked or done?

bstanbro 06-04-2010 12:47 PM

If I were perfect, how could I laugh at myself?