Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Toy Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/toy-sewing-machine-t145667.html)

KwiltyKahy 08-16-2011 08:50 PM

Do not buy a toy. An inexpensive good name machine is a better bet. A toy will probably just frustrate her.

Originally Posted by leggz48
What toy sewing machine would you recommend for a 6 year old. From what little research I have done, the toys I've seen do chain stitching. Won't that come out easily? I don't want the little one to get discouraged when her sewing comes apart. Any advice is welcome.

leggz48 08-16-2011 09:10 PM

Great information; I appreciate all the input. Thanks!!!

Kas 08-16-2011 09:30 PM

And my daughter was frustrated with the handcrank. She had a hard time holding onto the fabric and keeping it straight with one hand while cranking. I got her a vintage Kenmore and she loves it!

leggz48 08-16-2011 09:43 PM

This is soooooo cute!!!!!

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Get her a vintage 3/4 machine like a Singer 185J or a 99. They both are drop in bobbins, easy to work on and parts are readily available if something ever does happen. I did a machine for one of our members daughter for her Christmas present and she really enjoyed it. She was 8yo and it was a perfect fit for her and it is built like a tank so she can use it like she stole it!!

Billy

whinnytoo 08-17-2011 02:58 AM

Love that Barbie Pink machine!!!

gollytwo 08-17-2011 03:26 AM

I bought all 3 of my grandkids Jem Golds
They are great machines

QuiltnNan 08-17-2011 04:54 AM

think about it... have you tried to sew with a toy machine? it is difficult. it would be even more difficult for the child. if budget is an issue, just try hand sewing. then just jump in with a full-sized dsm. there can be a lot of learning with a child on your lap learning to maneuver the fabric. if the child can sew alone but not reach the pedal, put the pedal on a sturdy box. HTH

sahm4605 08-17-2011 04:59 AM

forget frustrating her it will frustrate you. I had gotten a toy for like 10 at joanns and it is a chain stitch and it is a piece of junk my dd has only sewn on it 4 times and I hate messing with it. I am looking at some other ones. I am all about getting her a small cheep one but you get what you pay for. If you can afford the money go with a real machine. like the hello kitty one. you can also go to a few dealers and see what they have in their clearance section. my dd most of the time will use mine and she is only 3 1/2. but that is with me helping her.

Maia B 08-17-2011 07:23 AM

I agree, a toy isn't the way to go. You might be able to get a Kenmore Mini-Ultra (same as the Janome Hello Kitty machine) for as little as $49 through Sears.com. I bought a Janome Sew Mini for my kids, but I felt the noise and hot AC adaptor were both dangerous and mine had poor stitch quality. I ended up getting them a Brother HS 2000 for about $200, and it's perfect for them. They were 6 and 8 when they started. Vintage is another inexpensive option.

Kas 08-17-2011 10:50 AM

Got Heather's Kenmore at a garage sale for $20 in a cabinet. She named her "Angel".