Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tracing Designs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tracing-designs-t89646.html)

MrsSew66 01-11-2011 02:27 PM

I need input as to how some of you trace designs for quilting so that the markings do not show.
Thanks...

Lacelady 01-11-2011 02:35 PM

The trick is to mark them so they do show, otherwise you wouldn't want to go to the bother. What needs to happen then is to be able to get rid of them

There are air erasable pens (purple ink, I think)
water erasable pens (blue ink)
Chalk (just brush off, and old toothbrush might help)
Thin slivers of soap
and I find Sewline retractable pencils very useful. The marks are erasable and come in several different colours.

Vanessa17 01-11-2011 02:52 PM

I like to use chalk :P

katier825 01-11-2011 03:19 PM

I draw on paper, trace it onto Sulky Solvy with washable Crayola markers, pin to the fabric and quilt. When done, I cut the larger pieces of extra Sulky Solvy away and the rest washes out in the laundry. No actual marking on the quilt at all...nothing to remove!

Midwestmary 01-11-2011 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
I draw on paper, trace it onto Sulky Solvy with washable Crayola markers, pin to the fabric and quilt. When done, I cut the larger pieces of extra Sulky Solvy away and the rest washes out in the laundry. No actual marking on the quilt at all...nothing to remove!

How do you secure the Sulky to the quilt top? Also interested to know if you use the heavy duty Sulky or the regular? I'd like to try this method - I often use tear away paper which can be a pain to remove :)

katier825 01-11-2011 04:24 PM

I attach it with safety pins. I'm not sure which Sulky Solvy I used. Probably the Ultra, it's a little thicker. I haven't tried each weight though, so I'm not sure what the difference would be for this type of use. If I get a chance later, I'll try to fish it out of the closet and verify which one.

dflynn 01-11-2011 05:57 PM

I like that idea. will try it.

Boscobd 01-11-2011 08:19 PM

I trace onto tissue paper, pin onto quilt, stitch thru, tear off, and finally use a pair of sharp 90 degree tweezers to pick out the little pieces that don't rip out.

MrsSew66 01-12-2011 06:48 AM

Thanks to everyone for their input!!!

katier825 01-14-2011 04:01 AM

I attach it with safety pins. I'm not sure which Sulky Solvy I used. Probably the Ultra, it's a little thicker. I haven't tried each weight though, so I'm not sure what the difference would be for this type of use. If I get a chance later, I'll try to fish it out of the closet and verify which one.

What I used for this was the light weight Sulky Solvy. I only buy it when I've got a coupon, so it's not too expensive that way. It's so much easier than picking little bits out with tweezers. Especially because I'm still fairly new at FMQ and my stitch size is sometimes small. It would be a pain to get those bits out.