Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Traits of a good quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/traits-good-quilter-t163297.html)

emykay 10-26-2011 12:01 AM

Well, if that's true then I better give up now! I think that to quilt, you just have to enjoy it!

Coreyquilter 10-26-2011 12:12 AM

Your comments are all funny, but truly, you are a good quilter when you enjoy the process, we quilt because we love it.

emsgranny 10-26-2011 12:20 AM

Hope you didnt pay too much for that lecture lol He would surely scare alot of people off!!! I am patient (most of the time) my geometry sucks and I am picky most of the time and very critical of my own work. I will keep trying though just to prove him wrong lol

annesthreads 10-26-2011 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by seazteddy
I went to a lecture and they said to be a good quilter you need to have patience, good knowledge of geometry and a precise nature. Do you think that is true?

Patience - sometimes, but the language can be terrible, and it's not unknown for a project to take flight across the room when it's defied me once too often

Geometry: ha! Scraped through my maths exams, forgot it all years ago - more important things to store in my brain

Precise: ROFL is all I can say to that.

annesthreads 10-26-2011 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by seazteddy
I went to a lecture and they said to be a good quilter you need to have patience, good knowledge of geometry and a precise nature. Do you think that is true?

Patience - sometimes, but the language can be terrible, and it's not unknown for a project to take flight across the room when it's defied me once too often

Geometry: ha! Scraped through my maths exams, forgot it all years ago - more important things to store in my brain

Precise: ROFL is all I can say to that.

annesthreads 10-26-2011 12:22 AM

Apologies for double post - don't know why that happened.

Becky Crafts 10-26-2011 12:49 AM

My math skills are minimal, my patience..well, lets say the cancer meds have me cranked up, and precision? HA!! I do my best, I love the process and the challenge and the recipients fight over the rest. I guess I do ok! :-)

mimom 10-26-2011 02:05 AM

I know a quilter who strives to be technically perfect. She has been quilting for 20 years and I am currently making quilt #41 for her daughter, she's tired of waiting for her mother to make her one. I make my quilts to be functional not perfect.

Mitch's mom 10-26-2011 02:15 AM

I have never claimed, nor will I ever claim to be, a good quilter! I'm not so sure what I do to fabric and batting is even legal in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, however, my family is very happy to 'snuggle' my quilts across state lines.

I think a better trait for a quilter would be Persistence.

Ann912 10-26-2011 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by emykay
Well, if that's true then I better give up now! I think that to quilt, you just have to enjoy it!

Ditto.