Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Transfer photos to fabric blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/transfer-photos-fabric-blocks-t224205.html)

brenwalt 06-21-2013 09:50 AM

Transfer photos to fabric blocks

I am about to make a wedding quilt that will contain up to abut 30 photos. There are several brands of fabric sheets available for this but I'd like your opinion as to the best one to purchase. I know they are relatively expensive but I want the quilt to be washable and still retain the photos. Please give me some direction as to what brands I should be looking at. Thanks so much.

davis2se 06-21-2013 10:08 AM

Not sure of the brands available, but just be SURE to carefully, very carefully, read the instructions on any brand you are considering. And be aware, the even though they may say that the quilts are washable upon completion, the pictures will most likely still fade some with washing. I would encourage the recipients to only dry clean your quilt if I were you.

sandyquilts 06-21-2013 10:31 AM

I put 10 photos on an I SPY quilt for our Great GD for her birthday. They turned out very nice. BUT (there's always a but) the paper test copy was bright but when printed using Quilted Treasures they weren't near as bright. I was still happy with the end result.

charsuewilson 06-21-2013 11:24 AM

I bought som Jacquard brand inkjet fabric sheets, which i would not recommend. The instructions, which you can't see until you open the package, say that the image will not withstand standard washing methods, and to treat with Scotchgard. It says it may be dry cleaned. I would never have bought these fabric sheets had I seen these instructions first.

cindi 06-21-2013 12:12 PM

I've only used them once - quite a while back, and don't remember what brand it was. I think June Taylor. Worked fine. Just make sure you ramp up the saturation on your picture - they will turn out a bit "duller" than what you think they will!

gmasandee 06-21-2013 02:04 PM

Ive made many picture quilts trying many types of fabric sheets and June Tailor wins by a long shot. Just follow directions and watch your reds. They'll run endlessly. We ended up using other pictures not using so much red ink.

ckcowl 06-21-2013 02:16 PM

read the packages carefully and choose the one that fits your project best...read the instructions, the care instructions...yes there are many on the market---but not that many that are actually washable- unless you are using a good quality permanent ink and follow the instructions carefully. many of them are meant for wall hangings- not projects that will be used/ laundered...there are a couple that are meant for that...read & make sure you get the right one *for you* most of the are good (for what they are for)

PlanoDebbie 06-21-2013 07:09 PM

I like Printed Treasures. Just try to avoid any fabric sheets that require dry cleaning.

omaluvs2quilt 06-21-2013 07:48 PM

I've used printed treasures a lot for labels, but think they may be a little stiff for an entire quilt. I've heard that the EQ cotton lawn has a nice hand, but I haven't actually tried it yet. I bought the huge pack of printed treasures with a Joann's coupon, so I'm trying to use that up first.

QuiltnLady1 06-21-2013 09:57 PM

I have literally printed out over a hundred pictures on fabric -- I found Printed Treasures the best a few years ago but I understand that EQ has a fabric with a better hand. You eed to use an inkjet printer (mine is HP).

Something to remember about printing on fabric -- the fabric will absorb the ink so you if you have access to anny kind of photo processing software, over saturate the picture so it looks really ugly on the test paper (I would print one or two samples on fabric if needed to get the color right). When you print, the fabric has absorbed the extra and the result is nice and bright colors. Be sure and finish according to the directions -- however I always dry iron my pictures to set the ink.