Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Trash To Treasure (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/trash-treasure-t216446.html)

Sideways 03-15-2013 10:03 AM

Trash To Treasure

I'm really interested in hearing if any of you are like me, I love to repurpose and reuse garage sale or flea market items in my sewing room. Would love to hear your ideas!

i needed to raise a thrift store table to make a cutting table. Instead of running out to the store to get bed elevator things or whatever they are - I went out in the garage and got 4 paint cans. Lol worked great!!!

Diannia 03-15-2013 10:38 AM

I got a mauve kitchen counter "thingy" that spins and has lots of holes in it for utensils from a yard sale. It now sits on my sewing table holding all my pens, pencils, scissors, etc. I also got a wooden shadow box that had plexiglass on it. It now is on my wall, minus the plexiglass, and holds my mid-arm threads and pins. I have 2 lawyers bookcases (1 from an estate sale and 1 from Craigslist) that hold most of my fabrics. Oh and DH brought home 2 plexiglass storage cabinets from the store he works at. They have locks on them. I put pretty paper on the shelves and store my extra rotary cutters and scissors in them on my sewing table (keeps the grandkids safe).

Diannia

Diannia

Pinkiris 03-15-2013 10:44 AM

I bought a large silverware storage tray (like you would put in a drawer) and use it for loose spools of thread, my scissors, seam ripper, etc. on the table next to my machine. I can pick up everything at one time if necessary.

SmickChick 03-15-2013 10:51 AM

I got a library table (extremely study) at an auction for $65. We cut a hole in it, and recessed my machine. Hadn't sewn with a "built in" for 25 years, and forgot how GREAT it is!

yel 03-15-2013 10:59 AM

the whole sewing room...lol

Sideways 03-15-2013 11:22 AM

Lol love these answers, thank you!!

I have a cutting table from Hancock fabrics. The whole huge cutting table that they used in the store. When they closed the store they had it sitting outside marked 25 bucks, they told me just to take it no charge. Awesome!! However the thing weighed a TON thought hubby and my boys were going to lose it taking it to my sewing area in the basement.

Alas when I gave up that area for the Steeler man cave they refused to carry it up two flights of steps, Imagine that. :) We use it now in the bar area it has two huge deep shelves - great for storage!

Tartan 03-15-2013 11:26 AM

Everyone in my family knows to ask me if they can throw something in the trash. "It ain't garbage, until Mama says it's garbage!":D

pumpkinpatchquilter 03-15-2013 11:30 AM

Hehehe I'm a thrift store junkie. I made curtains for my daughters bedroom out of a hot pink and zebra sheet I picked up at Goodwill! Plus I have leftover I'm going to use for applique pillows!

auntpiggylpn 03-15-2013 11:31 AM

I have orphaned treadle drawers on my table and they hold my scissors, rotary cutters, marking pens and pencils and another one that just seems to be a catch all for lots of things. I have a rolling kitchen cart from IKEA that holds all the supplies for whatever I am currently working on.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30216536/

mosquitosewgirl 03-15-2013 11:34 AM

My sewing table is a 40"x60" mahogany executive desk, that I found at a thrift store for $75. My husband cut a hole for my machine, built a recessed shelf for my machine, and then cut an inset piece to fit around my machine. My cutting table is the sideboard that came from my husbands family, which we used as a buffet for many years, then a changing table when our youngest was born. Now it serves as my cutting table. A place where I used to work had a pressed wood (covered with Formica type stuff) that the legs broke off of. I asked for the top as they were throwing it away. Brought it home, put a piece of the non-skid stuff that you put under rugs on top of the sideboard, then the conference table top, then another piece of non-skid, then my cutting mat....perfect height, perfect depth....lots of storage.