Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   treadle machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/treadle-machine-t168993.html)

sew_southern 11-19-2011 09:59 AM

treadle machine

I need some opinions on buying a Singer treadle machine for $40 at an estate sale. The hand wheel appears to move smoothly, the cabinet needs only minor repair and the whole thing needs to be cleaned. I'm not sure if I will sew on it since I've never used one. What do y'all think?

bjchad 11-19-2011 10:17 AM

That is a good price if it moves and the cabinet is in good shape. Which model?

sew_southern 11-19-2011 10:23 AM

Not sure about the model, will have to look it up online.

Charlee 11-19-2011 10:29 AM

When I got my first treadle, I got it for decoration because I had a new Janome. (NOT a top of the line model, but new and I loved it)
Then I actaully sewed on it. Oh my. PRETTY stitches! A couple of months later, I found my W&W 8 treadle, and it sewed beautifully too. Long story short, I almost never use the Janome now....with five treadles in the house and several e-machines, all of them doing what I would use the Janome for, there's almost no need for it!! (I will still use it to machine applique once in awhile)

dublb 11-19-2011 03:16 PM

Oh I hope you got it. $40 WOW!

deemail 11-19-2011 03:58 PM

are you kidding? go, go now....it will be gone if you don't!!! the cabinet will be lovely, the machine will work...they are so simple, they always do after a good cleaning, oiling and usually a belt replacement.... if i lived close, it would be gone already...you will not be sorry...and if you learn to sew on it you will enjoy that, too... my grandson and his buddy made potholders on mine when they were 8 so i think you can handle it... i love mine for two things... one is that NOTHING, (unless you have an industrial) mends Levis better... they walk right thru the thickest fabric and seams. the second reason is that i keep it right in front of a window so that when the power goes out, (i live high in the mountains of arizona) I just move to the treadle and go back to work. I have two working treadles and use them both frequently...one is in the living room so it is my 'donor block machine' that i use in the evenings while watching tv and making my standard 'donor block,' ... the machine folds up and is adorable in seconds when i'm done.

ckcowl 11-19-2011 04:01 PM

i've been looking for just such a deal! i want one so i can still sit & stitch when the lights go out!!!
not that it happens that often- and i do alot of hand work- i just have it in my head...if i only had a treadle-for when there is no power and i still want to machine piece...
if it's something that's been on your...i would like one of those...list grab it :)
the last one i looked at had a $400 price tag on it.

sew_southern 11-19-2011 04:02 PM

So i went back to the estate sale to look at the machine again. While there I noticed a "desk" with its back to me and covered with pillows. I asked about it and the elderly lady having the sale says "oh, its a large custom made sewing cabinet". Well I got it turned around and it had drawers & shelves galore, just needs to be cleaned up. She was needing to get rid of this "big, heavy stuff" so I offered her $50 for both pieces and she took it! Happy Black Friday to me! Lol :)

Tartan 11-19-2011 04:06 PM

Makes sure you have a bobbin in the bobbin case or with the machine. It's not a deal breaker but it helps to find extra bobbins if you know what your looking for. It may need a new belt but a sewing machine repair shop should be able to get one for you and it should cost under $10.00. You can probably put it on yourself but there might be a small charge if they have to do it. Remember to, these are not portable machines (very heavy). Get help to move it around and set it up in a place you intend to leave it. As everyone has said, they are wonderful machines if they are in working order. For $40.00 bucks even if it doesn't work, it makes a nice display piece.

QuiltnNan 11-19-2011 04:40 PM

sounds like a good deal if it works