Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Treadle sewing machines! Anyone? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/treadle-sewing-machines-anyone-t59125.html)

ube quilting 08-12-2010 03:33 PM

I have a great old treadle in perfect condition and with many attachments. When I had it cleaned the repairman said if I think I attched the leather band tight enough it isn't. I can't seem to get it tight enough. What to do? any suggestions would be great. I can't wait to lose my electricity!

magpie 08-12-2010 05:36 PM

Why wait? Use it now. Enjoy it. I learned on one about 50 yrs. ago. Still have it, but needs repairs.

wvdek 08-12-2010 05:54 PM

Go to the Vintage Machine section and ask Billy (Lostin51) and he will answer your question.

quiltinghere 08-13-2010 03:23 AM

I really don't believe it needs to be SUPER TIGHT!

overdew 08-13-2010 04:55 PM

A friend told me that wetting the leather band will cause it to shrink and tighten if it is too loose. Check with someone else before doing this.

ube quilting 08-24-2010 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
I have a great old treadle in perfect condition and with many attachments. When I had it cleaned the repairman said if I think I attched the leather band tight enough it isn't. I can't seem to get it tight enough. What to do? any suggestions would be great. I can't wait to lose my electricity!

Thanks to all who gave good advice to me, Will let you know how it all works!

purplefiend 08-24-2010 04:49 PM

A properly adjusted treadle belt is just tight enough to run the machine without slipping; if its too hard to treadle, its too tight. It will need to be adjusted again later its just the nature of the leather belt.
Sharon W. who sews with 2 treadles.

pineneedles4 06-10-2011 02:51 PM

On my old Singer treadle machine I put the belt into place and pulled tight, marked it with a pencil, removed it from the large wheel at the bottom and cut 1/8" out, put the belt back into place, tested it, removed the belt again, cut another 1/8" out, put it back together again and tested it. That is how I finally got mine tight enough by myself!

I use an old Singer hand-crank machine now and I love it! It's fun and makes perfect seams!

Vanessa in Oklahoma

thepolyparrot 06-10-2011 06:20 PM

I had put belts on several domestic treadles before I got my 31-15 industrial treadle. I would stretch them across my shoulders really tight to get the initial stretch out of them, then put them on.

When the guy brought my 31-15, he threaded it up and popped the belt up on the handwheel and proceeded to show me how well it worked. I sat down to try it and I was amazed at how easy it was! Soooooo smooth and almost effortless - how can that be, when it's so much bigger than any of my domestics?

Well, it's because I had the daggum belts too tight on every single one of them.

The industrial is the easiest one in the bunch to treadle - but it's so loose you wonder how it ever even catches the handwheel.

Diamondrose 06-10-2011 06:34 PM

I wish all treadle belts were like the one on my Standard Treadle - it is a very long spring so no guessing as to whether it is adjusted right.