Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tried the FMQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tried-fmq-t42294.html)

ranger 04-10-2010 03:41 AM

Yesterday I spent most of my day practicing free motion quilting. I like it. Not good at it but everything I've read on this board says that it takes practice, practice and more practice. The one thing that is annoying me is the stitches on the back------- they look too tight even when the top stitches look good. It's probably a tension issue but I can't seem to fix it. Will be doing more practice today.

Pam 04-10-2010 04:34 AM

Keep plugging away, it is worth it!

lisalovesquilting 04-10-2010 04:36 AM

You've probably already done this but if not tighten the top tension a little at a time and see what happens. Glad you're enjoying FMQ.

mimee4 04-10-2010 05:36 AM

FMQ really is lots of fun. And it goes fast so you see accomplishment. Keep practicing and adjusting that top tension. Each quilt and each type of thread takes a bit of time to adjust.

Ditter43 04-10-2010 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by ranger
Yesterday I spent most of my day practicing free motion quilting. I like it. Not good at it but everything I've read on this board says that it takes practice, practice and more practice. The one thing that is annoying me is the stitches on the back------- they look too tight even when the top stitches look good. It's probably a tension issue but I can't seem to fix it. Will be doing more practice today.

Try reducing your top tension by one number at a time until things are good top and bottom....if it is on the back of your work, it's the top tension that is the problem....

Ditter

craftybear 04-10-2010 05:03 PM

are you still practicing!

littlehud 04-10-2010 07:00 PM

Just keep practicing. I want to try feathers next. We'll see what happens.

ranger 04-11-2010 03:54 AM

Still at it. I've been trying pinning a paper pattern on the block and following the lines. It helped me get the flow. Seems to be that 'gettin' the flow' is the key to it. Tension is better but still not where I want it. Moving the block smoothly is a bit of a hassle too...I don't like the gloves much. Someone mentioned somewhere about cleaning the machine stitching area with something but I can't remember what it was...it helps make the surface smoother. Thanks all for the encouragement. I'm still a long way from doing this on a big quilt top....maybe a small wall quilt is in order.

Pam 04-11-2010 04:30 AM

Ranger, I did a couple of wall hangings and then did the queen size one tht is on my bed. I marked each blank square with a feather wreath and it came out well. I am happy to say that I just got a short amr quilting machine and I won't have to do that again.

ranger 04-11-2010 04:36 AM

Pam, I'm thinking that if I get good at this FMQ that I'd like to have a short arm machine. Maybe I'll get back to you for info on it when I need to....of course that's a long way off!!