Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tried my first pantograph (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tried-my-first-pantograph-t163773.html)

Debbie B 10-27-2011 04:50 PM

I made a small quilt of scrap squares just to practice on and tried a pantograph. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I was sort of like a drunken sailor. And I had to keep reminding myself to not let my mind wander...that's hard for me...ha. But, I stuck with it and got a bit better by the end of the quilt. Is there a book about DSM & frame quilting or using pantographs that anyone can suggest? Dee suggested an on-line machine quilters quilting forum. It's nice, but way out of my league. Although, I do like looking at their pictures.

OneMoreQuilt 10-27-2011 05:00 PM

If you are struggling, try this: Before you begin to stitch the pantograph pattern trace it with your pointer finger a few times then once or twice with your stylus or laser without turning the machine on. I know it sounds silly but it will put the "path of the pattern" in your brain. It will also help you establish a rhythm.

Rose L 10-27-2011 05:05 PM

I find I'm more steady when I sit on a stool while working at the frame. I'm teaching myself so I just keep playing around until I find a way. Practice, practice, practice!! And enjoy the journey.

QuiltnNan 10-27-2011 05:18 PM

congrats on your first panto. it does get easier with practice.

sewwhat85 10-27-2011 07:19 PM

congrats. remember to watch where you are going not where you are at. You know look ahead

AndiR 10-27-2011 08:01 PM

Don't worry too much about trying to stay exactly on the line. That makes you go too slowly and 'jiggly'. Instead strive for smooth movements, even if they're off the line a bit - after all, no one will ever know as that line is not marked on the quilt!

And the suggestion to try it a few times without turning the machine on is a good one. The more you do it, the more your muscles remember the movements and the more automatic it becomes.

kat112000 10-27-2011 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by AndiR
Don't worry too much about trying to stay exactly on the line. That makes you go too slowly and 'jiggly'. Instead strive for smooth movements, even if they're off the line a bit - after all, no one will ever know as that line is not marked on the quilt!

And the suggestion to try it a few times without turning the machine on is a good one. The more you do it, the more your muscles remember the movements and the more automatic it becomes.

Great tips!!

Jim 10-27-2011 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rose L
I find I'm more steady when I sit on a stool while working at the frame. I'm teaching myself so I just keep playing around until I find a way. Practice, practice, practice!! And enjoy the journey.

AND THEN...practice some more.....................

dmyers 10-28-2011 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by AndiR

AndiR has great advice! Also look ahead of where you're going and not that where you're at. Kinda like driving a car! You'll get better as you do more.

abbynjack 10-28-2011 03:28 AM

Great advice!
I too have just started using a laser with pantographs and have just kept practising.
I wondered if the stylus (Pattern Perfect)would be easier and whether the product is still sold as the Qbot is nearly AU$7,000 here and way out of my league.
I also practised a bit on free motion and tended to find that a little easier on the frame.
Not perfect yet and no expert but noticed that I am getting better at it.
Keep practising (I felt it was a lost cause and disheartened but didnt give up) and am getting better with each practise run.