Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Triple Border (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/triple-border-t182213.html)

beckalou 03-09-2012 03:16 PM

Triple Border

I'm kind of stumped over constructing my borders for a quilt. I am putting a triple border on it. Since I didn't have enough fabric to cut the borders LOF, I had to cut them WOF which means it will take 2 - 3 WOF per side. I wanted to sew the three borders together and then attach to the quilt as one unit. But not sure how to handle the seams that will get me the lengths I need for each side. Do I sew each border fabric together first and then stitch the 3 borders together? Or should I stitch the 3 different border strips together and then join the lengths? Clear as mud, right? Any help appreciated.

MaryLane 03-09-2012 03:21 PM

Are you going to miter them at the corner? Otherwise your won't have a continuous border of each fabric. You will have a striped effect at the corners.

That being said, if you still intend to do what I understand you to say I would sew the individual fabrics the the proper length and join them to the others. I would also stagger the seams so that you don't have them sort of matching but not quite.

Clear as mud, right?

Prism99 03-09-2012 03:23 PM

It is easier to add one border to the quilt at a time, and also saves fabric. If you sew the 3 borders together first, you will need to miter the corners, and mitering takes a lot of extra fabric.

kclausing 03-09-2012 03:29 PM

I agree, I do one border at a time to prevent the corners from looking funny.

faykilgore 03-09-2012 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree with MaryLane. Here's what it looks like when you sew the borders together before attaching them. It was okay on a child's quilt, but I would have taken them off and redone them on a more formal quilt.

beckalou 03-09-2012 03:37 PM

MaryLane,
You understood me perfectly. I do plan on mitering the corners, I have enough fabric to do that. Thanks for all of the responses.

beckalou 03-09-2012 03:42 PM

Fay,
I love your kitty I spy!

Jingle 03-09-2012 05:12 PM

I did borders like you want to do them, I didn't want to miter them and just let them look like they looked. I did a QAYG and had spent so much time on it and was tired of it. I made it for someone else, they didn't know the difference. I had to replace my machine and didn't make enough money on it to buy another machine.

bigsister63 05-05-2012 09:31 AM

Thought I would try this but decided that it will not be what I wanted since one side of borders would cross other. Might work if I add cornerstones to borders. Have not decided yet.

jcrow 05-05-2012 11:04 AM

I never thought about adding the borders together before adding them to the quilt. Sounds interesting. Seems like the only way to do it if you have more than one border and you want to miter them, right? I've only mitered one border on a quilt, not two, so I never thought about this.