Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Trouble with 'dog legs' when cutting strips - help? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/trouble-dog-legs-when-cutting-strips-help-t173467.html)

TexasSunshine 12-28-2011 12:05 PM

I recommend the June Tailor Shapecut ruler also. It has improved my cutting straight strips. It is worth the investment. I used a coupon to buy mine.

cmw0829 12-28-2011 12:42 PM

I must be an oddball because I have more trouble WITH the June Tailor Shapecut than without.

In order to cut full width fabric, I have to fold it twice (once as we normally do an then again so it will fit the ruler) and can't seem to get both folds situated just right to avoid a dog let. If I'm subcutting the strips into small pieces, it's not an issue but if I were to use the strips for borders or other longer purposes, it would be.

Any hints to help me?

Thanks,
Cathy

lynnsim 12-28-2011 12:51 PM

I always make sure my ruler is even with the selvage. And realign every few cuts. Sometimes, I have to recut from the other side.

Raggiemom 12-28-2011 01:01 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll have to try one of these myself.

Painiacs 12-28-2011 01:14 PM

I looove my June tailor cutter!!!

Prism99 12-28-2011 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by cmw0829 (Post 4818588)
I must be an oddball because I have more trouble WITH the June Tailor Shapecut than without.

In order to cut full width fabric, I have to fold it twice (once as we normally do an then again so it will fit the ruler) and can't seem to get both folds situated just right to avoid a dog let. If I'm subcutting the strips into small pieces, it's not an issue but if I were to use the strips for borders or other longer purposes, it would be.

Any hints to help me?

Thanks,
Cathy

My best hint is to purchase the bigger Shapecut so you only have to fold once! I agree that it's tricky if you have to fold twice, because both folds have to be exactly paralell to one another.

Izy 12-28-2011 01:24 PM

This video was my life saver: Leah Day, the great FMQ queen gives a great demo here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcpzwJMVTbc

It made such a difference to me :D

BellaBoo 12-28-2011 01:32 PM

This is why I got the Go and strip dies. Perfect strip cuts everytime and no fussy measuring or lining up edges. I know I have wasted more fabric cutting out the bow in strips then the Go cost. LOL.

NJ Quilter 12-28-2011 02:33 PM

The most important factor is how the fabric is folded in half as RkayD says. Not at all familiar with the Fons & Porter book mentioned but one of the ladies at my LQS was cutting strips one day early in my quilting career. And she's excellent. I asked her how she managed that. She showed me her technique for folding to make sure the fold is on the straight. I've adapted a bit but basically start with fabric selvage to selvage. Look for a 'bubble' (easiest done if you're a pre-washer and after ironing). I lay the fabric flat on my cutting table with the fold closest to me and then smooth out the 'bubble'. At that point the selvages will not line up but your fabric will be folded straight. Trim off the wonky end and start measuring from there. Haven't had an issue since.

auntpiggylpn 12-28-2011 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Holice (Post 4818423)
you need to make sure the ruler is lined up with the fold. One teacher recommends you realign about every 6" of cut.
As long as your ruler is lined up with the fold you will have straight cuts. If you are cutting 2.5" strips then re adjust about every 2 or 3 cuts and straighten the side if you need to before making the next cut. Your fold can be crooked but as long as the ruler is straight with the fold you will get straight cuts.

You beat me to it Holice! I think I even got this tip here on the board a while back! Since lining up my ruler with my fold, I haven't had one single wonky strip. I also use the June Taylor shape cut sometimes and I make sure I line it up with the fold too.