Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   True Measurments (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/true-measurments-t442.html)

Becky 01-16-2007 04:18 PM

Yvonne

You make me afarid to organize my sewing room, my hall is really small. LOL

Marilyn Philips 02-16-2007 01:15 PM

:thumbup: I'm sure happy to know that there are more "notebook" nuts out there. I also have some small 4 /12" x 6" photo books you can pick up in the dollar stores which are very handy for little tidbits, etc. I keep one just for shopping which contains a quilt measurement chart, needle size and type, batting types, yardage conversion info, etc., and bits of fabric that I may be trying to match up and other little tidbits. This is easy to carry in your purse and comes in very handy. :wink: :lol:

Becky 02-16-2007 01:55 PM

Marilyn

Thanks so much for that tid-bit, I think I'll borrow your idea.

Betty 02-16-2007 04:21 PM

Hi all you well organized people.....
You have your stuff in notebooks & separate ones at that?! Wow. I have mine saved in libraries on computer but don't think there is enough paper to print out & I know not enough shelf space to keep them on should I do so. LOL Lucky I have 2 drives with 7 GIG each huh? I prints em as I needs em. Betty 8)

Knot Sew 02-16-2007 04:52 PM

I'm not much of a saver. I copy them from library books and ones I like on line. Mine fit in one folder; and I have a lot saved on the computer.
That's it. The more stuff I have the less I can find. :roll:

Marilyn Philips 02-17-2007 01:53 PM

Hi Betty: Thought your idea of a computer library for your stuff is great and obviously will work well with info gathered from this program. However, I find it difficult and tedious to try and scan from a hard-backed book or even magazines that must be folded back. Even flat pages are really time consuming. I think from now on I will try to incorporate both methods - even that could save a lot of shelf/filing space. What do you think?

patricej 02-17-2007 02:31 PM

don't forget to back everything up to CDs once in a while. I lost a quilt design that took me days to develop ... and i should know better. i'm s'posed to be an IT Geek. LOL
:cry:

Betty 02-17-2007 03:41 PM

Hi Patrice,
Yes, backups vip. I am a newbie at quilting, just got EQ Design Wizard, just a starter design program, am just in the process of playing around with it right now but I am thinking as I do design something I want to save or do I will just pop a cd in & put it on there to begin with. Could very well save me a lot of disappointment. But thanks so much for sounding the warning. Betty 8)

Betty 02-17-2007 04:06 PM

Hi Marilyn,
I think incorporating both methods would probably work well. Anyway it takes to collect the information you need. Since I am a newbie trying to teach myself this skill I need more than most. LOL I have sewn for years but quilting is a very different process. I have probably studied, researched, read, watched videos, etc etc as much for this as any college course I ever took. There is a lot to learn. I don't have and don't expect to have the very expensive machines some do, I am pretty much a make it work with what you have person. I don't really do much scanning, even when my scanner is up and running, for quilting. If I see something on the net that appeals to me in form or use of color I keep it for reference. I have 1 file that is nothing but different tips or several opinions on how something is done, like photo printing for instance. With the books I have, if they are not spiral bound where you can open them flat, I am lucky in that they have a machine at work that I can spiral bind those. I stopped buying books though. You never have all the ones you want & they are only for reference, for me. I sometimes have a lot of back "filing" to do to get my files in the folder they belong in or even deciding how I want to sort but the computer is a wonderful tool for finding and keeping information & saving it on physical storage space for sure. As Patrice suggested though, do backups. Betty 8)

Boo 02-17-2007 06:02 PM

Let me introduce you to another product that makes keeping stuff found on the internet quick and easy. I also printed everything, and have filled numerous notebooks. The amount of paper and ink for the printer was just breaking me. Now I store everything on a neat tiny little thing that plugs into a USB port called a Travel Drive. Some are called Flash Drives. They hold an immence amount of patterns and come in different sizes. The one I have holds 256MB. But I have seen then at 1G and 2Gs. Now I just call up this little portable drive and print what I need when I need it. Trust me, this is the slickest thing going and can be used on any computer. I often take mine to the shop to show Pam something I found on line. Also, a side note, I have an old computor with W98 and it was no trouble to install. Later computers do not need a downloaded drive to operate it. It was quite easy for me to download and was using it in just a few minutes and frees my computer space. :D