Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tube HST.....MATH! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tube-hst-math-t97498.html)

justwannaquilt 02-07-2011 06:25 AM

UGH. I don't mind doing math. As long as I know wth I'm doing. lol I think I have it figured out but I am hoping someone can confirm for me.

So since I am cheap I am using a regular square ruler with a 45* line to make HST the tube quilting way. I want my blocks to FINISH at 4 inches square. If MY math is right I have to cut two strips 3.75 inches wide, sew them down both sides then cut them apart lining the 45* line up with the stitching and so on.... I know a ruler that is made for this would tell me how wide to cut the strips but I'm cheap.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

dakotamaid 02-07-2011 06:32 AM

Can't help you on the math, just to say you're not cheap you're thrifty!!:)

Janet Leigh 02-07-2011 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
UGH. I don't mind doing math. As long as I know wth I'm doing. lol I think I have it figured out but I am hoping someone can confirm for me.

So since I am cheap I am using a regular square ruler with a 45* line to make HST the tube quilting way. I want my blocks to FINISH at 4 inches square. If MY math is right I have to cut two strips 3.75 inches wide, sew them down both sides then cut them apart lining the 45* line up with the stitching and so on.... I know a ruler that is made for this would tell me how wide to cut the strips but I'm cheap.

I love making HST from strips sewn together on both edges.
3.5" strips will get you a 4" or a 4.5" unfinished HST (4" HST when sewn-finished). Just be sure you are measuring from your seam line and not the raw edge ... I learned the hard way my first time!! LOL

sewwhat85 02-07-2011 06:38 AM

sorry i have not done it that way

justwannaquilt 02-07-2011 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Janet Leigh

I love making HST from strips sewn together on both edges.
3.5" strips will get you a 4" or a 4.5" unfinished HST (4" HST when sewn-finished). Just be sure you are measuring from your seam line and not the raw edge ... I learned the hard way my first time!! LOL

THANK YOU.

BKrenning 02-07-2011 07:14 AM

I don't do my HST's this way but if I wanted to make a strip of them I would cut my strips at 5" if I wanted 4" finished size HST's. The rule for HST's is add 7/8 inch to the finished size and most people round it up to 1 inch and trim back down. I've looked at tutorials on the tube method and it still appears that you'd have to have 5" fabric strips to make 4" finished size HST's.

I'll be curious to see someone explain how they turn a 3" strip into a 4" square.

erstan947 02-07-2011 07:17 AM

When in doubt I do a sample with scraps to get the size I want.

Janet Leigh 02-07-2011 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
I don't do my HST's this way but if I wanted to make a strip of them I would cut my strips at 5" if I wanted 4" finished size HST's. The rule for HST's is add 7/8 inch to the finished size and most people round it up to 1 inch and trim back down. I've looked at tutorials on the tube method and it still appears that you'd have to have 5" fabric strips to make 4" finished size HST's.

I'll be curious to see someone explain how they turn a 3" strip into a 4" square.

When you have 2-3" strips sewn together down both sides, you cut your HST on a 45* angle. So each strip actually represents half of the HST. If these 2 strips were only sewn together along one edge and opened up with the seam down the middle, they would measure 5.5" wide, plenty of room for a 4" HST.

Janet Leigh 02-07-2011 08:22 AM

I sent you a PM with other strip sizes as well. I spent many experimental hours doing this method with strip widths from 0.5" wide all the way up to 5" wide. I made a chart so I wouldn't have to do it each time! I'd be glad to share.