Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tube Piecing... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tube-piecing-t29394.html)

Rose Marie 11-28-2009 07:33 AM

You measure your 2 strips after sewing togather and cut the third that size. Your squares will be on the bias so be very careful when pressing and sewing.

Elisabrat 11-28-2009 07:57 AM

Super easy and the video is wrong.. no matter what the two first two stripes are .. when you sew them together that is the width of the bottom strip. I think the video is off. I love tube quilting.. so beats all the measure and measure twice when you can get.. what two squares off a measure once? OH Heck yeah!! and you can make so many varients of the same cut.. so go the search and check others posts.. see all that can be done from a simple cut on a simple seam.. magic..

butterflywing 11-28-2009 08:01 AM

that third strip (really the 2nd) has to = the width of the first strip, no matter how many sub-strips the first one or the second one is made of. the first strip can be one, two, five nine substrips. that has to equal the second strip, also made of any number. you lay one above the othe, right sidea together, then follow the method. no matter how many substrips there are, from one to 100, it works the same way, as long as the width is the same. when you stack them, they have to be the same width.

they are, indeed, on the bias, as said by rpse marie. thank you,rose marie, for the reminder.

Cathe 11-28-2009 09:23 AM

It's similar to the techniques in Eleanor Burns' Double Pinwheels and also Debbie Caffreys "Open a Can of Worms" and her other books. (Those are pretty old books - I don't know if they are in print anymore)

I took a class from Debbie Caffrey at a Quilt Market several years ago, and she provided the Ominigrid 96 and 96L and the 98 and 98L rulers that make those triangular cuts. They are REALLY good for that. I have used those rulers for several different projects since then, including the setting triangles for many "on point" things.

The rulers are a little hard to find, but they are worth the effort!

Tiffany 11-28-2009 04:51 PM

Thank you ladies! As long as I know the third strip is the same width as the first two put together, I have no doubt this will turn out okay. I would have been so bummed if I'd done it and it hadn't turned out. Things like that, when it is the pattern at fault, tend to frustrate me beyond belief.

jljack 11-28-2009 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cathe
It's similar to the techniques in Eleanor Burns' Double Pinwheels and also Debbie Caffreys "Open a Can of Worms" and her other books. (Those are pretty old books - I don't know if they are in print anymore)

I took a class from Debbie Caffrey at a Quilt Market several years ago, and she provided the Ominigrid 96 and 96L and the 98 and 98L rulers that make those triangular cuts. They are REALLY good for that. I have used those rulers for several different projects since then, including the setting triangles for many "on point" things.

The rulers are a little hard to find, but they are worth the effort!

I just took a class through my Guild on Power Cutting using those 2 rulers - the 96L and 98L. I LOVED this technique....you can cut loads of pieces really quick.

minstrel 11-29-2009 07:06 AM

So, so easy, and so, so fun. You can throw together a table runner, wallhanging, baby quilt, etc. so quickly. Do a search...there's a thread on the board here a couple weeks ago or so where someone posted all the different layouts they came up with. Every project you do can look so different!

geraldinem 11-29-2009 05:03 PM

This is a great tutorial and you can even download it from youtube! thanks for the heads up

Olivia's Grammy 11-29-2009 05:06 PM

It's also very addictive.