Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Twister Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/twister-quilt-t207027.html)

crucarlson 11-26-2012 07:17 PM

Twister Quilt

How large is the twister quilt using one layer cake plus an inner border?

Handcraftsbyjen 11-26-2012 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by crucarlson (Post 5682062)
How large is the twister quilt using one layer cake plus an inner border?

It depends on how you lay your squares out. If you give more information, I'd be happy to try to help you.

crucarlson 11-26-2012 10:39 PM

That's a good question! Since layer cakes are fairly expensive, I am trying to decide if I will need more than one layer cake? I don't have the large twister ruler yet so I don't have the pattern either. If one layer cake has 40 pieces - will that make a lap size quilt?

vivsqt 11-27-2012 05:54 AM

Yes, one layer cake of 40 will make a lap size quilt. You just need to make sure that your squares contrast against each other so you can see the twist. I have made three lap size twister quilts based on a 5 x 7 layout plus borders. I believe they finished out at about 50 x 70 or 55 x 75.

Handcraftsbyjen 11-27-2012 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by crucarlson (Post 5682390)
That's a good question! Since layer cakes are fairly expensive, I am trying to decide if I will need more than one layer cake? I don't have the large twister ruler yet so I don't have the pattern either. If one layer cake has 40 pieces - will that make a lap size quilt?

You will want to purchase a background fabric to make your pinwheels stand out. Also, if you purchase both the Twister and Lil' Twister Rulers and are careful when you cut your large pinwheels out an don't overcut your template by but a thread or two, you can use all of your waste to make smaller pinwheels that you could either add into your border or make a baby quilt or another project.

w7sue 11-28-2012 12:52 AM

My daughter fell in love with this pattern. We have picked out three fabrics to make the pinwheels out of and one for the border. We cut the squares 10" and will use the 8 1/2" (I think) to make the primary pinwheels. She wants it to be at least a queen or a little bigger. Right now I am planning on about a 13 x 13 layout for the first sewing. I think I read someplace that the first sewn piece would shrink about 30%. I am going to try to be very careful when cutting so I can get smaller ones to use in the outer border.

Any thoughts about my plan?

DOTTYMO 11-28-2012 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by crucarlson (Post 5682390)

Somewhere on the web I found a pattern / how to make your own twister ruler. Ie where to put the intersections it worked very well cut from clear plastic.i did think after I bet you could somehow line up on a square ruler. It would be useful while waiting for twister ruler. There are different sizes not sure if lines if different places.
Let's twist again fun day.

LavenderBlue 11-28-2012 03:12 AM

TWISTER

On the 3.5 inch TWRuler the mark is at 3/4 inch. Use 5" blocks & 3.5" borders.

On the 8 inch TWRuler the mark is 2 inches. You start with a 10" square and 6.5" borders.

A 6 row by 6 row will finish at about 61 x 61...you can then add more borders if you want.
<o:p
</o

BMP 11-28-2012 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Handcraftsbyjen (Post 5682181)
It depends on how you lay your squares out. If you give more information, I'd be happy to try to help you.

Where did you get your snowman twister pattern in your advatar !!! I LOVE it !!!

Handcraftsbyjen 11-28-2012 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by BMP (Post 5684802)
Where did you get your snowman twister pattern in your advatar !!! I LOVE it !!!

Thanks, BMP. I like him a lot. He may very well be my favorite Twister thus far.