Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Twister Squares (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/twister-squares-t87084.html)

np3 01-02-2011 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Zephyr

Originally Posted by mommamac
are you wanting to make a quilt? table runner? wreath?
the number of 5" squares & your grid will determine the end result I think.

I have 36 twister squares, so I guess I need suggestions or pictures. All I can remember seeing was the beautiful wreaths done with twisters.

I think I am confused as to how you started. You do not use the tool to cut the fabric out in the beginning. You put larger squares together with a border (make a quilt) and then use the tool to cut the twister square from the designed quilt. You place them down to make a new quilt in the same order. Well for the large quilt anyway.

mommamac 01-02-2011 03:29 PM

Right - sew 5" blocks together - what you want to make determines number of rows across & down.

wreath was a 5x5 grid with a 3" border to begin with - then begin cutting as directions that came with template show (first cut will be into borders) Then arrange new squares into wreath shape.
note whatever you have for outside & middle blocks will be inside/outside of wreath

runner was a grid of 2x7 (I think) with a 3" border

Have I confused you more?

Lakeview Quilting 01-02-2011 04:07 PM

Yes, I tried a search on the Board because I know I have seen others pictures etc. However, I couldn't find them.

Click on search at the top of this page and type in twister. Several posts will come up.

Lakeview Quilting 01-02-2011 04:13 PM

I have 36 twister squares, so I guess I need suggestions or pictures. All I can remember seeing was the beautiful wreaths done with twisters.

I made one with the 36 squares. Search, twister in brights. Hope this helps.

CoyoteQuilts 01-02-2011 04:39 PM

I have tried to find pictures, tutorals etc for quilts made with the Twister template. I have figured out how to cut out the little squares but now I need some pictures or suggestions about how to put them together. Thanks to anyone who can suggest.

Though I have never made one the concept is to place the cut square in the same position that you cut it from. Across the top row you place the cut square from the top of your beginning sewn blocks. Or if you cut from top to bottom then you place the cut squares top to bottom.

Does that help?

np3 01-02-2011 04:41 PM

Right - sew 5" blocks together - what you want to make determines number of rows across & down.

wreath was a 5x5 grid with a 3" border to begin with - then begin cutting as directions that came with template show (first cut will be into borders) Then arrange new squares into wreath shape.
note whatever you have for outside & middle blocks will be inside/outside of wreath

runner was a grid of 2x7 (I think) with a 3" border

Have I confused you more?

I'm confused by the original post. Looks like she cut the template first???

Zephyr 01-02-2011 05:51 PM

I did exactly as you said, but the directions ended there.
They said nothing about keeping them in order. So I did keep each line seperate but not sure they were in order. Hence my problem.

Originally Posted by np3

I think I am confused as to how you started. You do not use the tool to cut the fabric out in the beginning. You put larger squares together with a border (make a quilt) and then use the tool to cut the twister square from the designed quilt. You place them down to make a new quilt in the same order. Well for the large quilt anyway.

Zephyr 01-02-2011 05:58 PM

Thanks, that helps a bit.

np3 01-02-2011 06:06 PM

They said nothing about keeping them in order. So I did keep each line seperate but not sure they were in order. Hence my problem.

Originally Posted by np3

Okay, you only need to make sure that the borders are still the borders.

Lay the blocks all out on a large table or the floor and put them back to the way they looked before you cut them. The cut blocks should be tilted at this point. Then just gently tilt them them to the right so they are matched squares. You will instantly see the "twister" now. Stitch the blocks back into rows then join the rows. After this is done, you add more border to it. I use the same border fabric. Then quilt and bind as usual.

I am making one right now and if you still are having trouble, I can take some pictures as I go and post them for you.

Sadiemae 01-02-2011 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by np3

Originally Posted by np3

Okay, you only need to make sure that the borders are still the borders.

Lay the blocks all out on a large table or the floor and put them back to the way they looked before you cut them. The cut blocks should be tilted at this point. Then just gently tilt them them to the right so they are matched squares. You will instantly see the "twister" now. Stitch the blocks back into rows then join the rows. After this is done, you add more border to it. I use the same border fabric. Then quilt and bind as usual.

I am making one right now and if you still are having trouble, I can take some pictures as I go and post them for you.

I would love to see your photos.