Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ugly FQ Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ugly-fq-challenge-t60052.html)

rootyr 08-18-2010 09:37 AM

I am in an ugly fat quarter challenge. Believe me-, it is ugly! It is a baseball theme with all kinds of baseball stuff printed on it in wild colors. bright yellows, black, browns etc. I would like to make something for the girl although it is a man's theme. Any ideas?

bearisgray 08-18-2010 10:00 AM

Can you post a picture or scan?

rootyr 08-18-2010 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is.

mlcasada 08-18-2010 11:41 AM

I think I would fussy cut it -- especially the old group photographs, then log cabin around them with blues and yellows and blacks and tans. You could also use the remaining pieces of the fat quarter to make thin log cabin strips. If they are cut up you won't be able to see all the guy stuff that's on them.

The "picture" blocks could be combined with some REAL old photos from your family to make a "history" quilt.

Maybe it's enough of an idea to get you (or someone else on the board) thinking...? or started...? :-)

Blessings!
Mary Lou

Lady Shivesa 08-18-2010 11:52 AM

I'm really not a big fan of baseball, or those colors either...but I kind of like that fabric in a weird sort of way.. >_>

No idea what you should do with it, especially if you're trying to make it for a girl. But I'm sure there will be plenty of people with genius ideas!

katmom54 08-18-2010 12:07 PM

wow...i actually love this fabric and could use it in a quilt I am making...Where did you get it? If you have scraps left over and want to get rid of them, let me know...

Bluphrog 08-18-2010 12:13 PM

I like it, too. My DDIL is a baseball nut and would love a quilt made with this. Can you tell us who the manufacturer is? (I noticed the selvage is still on the piece.)

Originally Posted by katmom54
wow...i actually love this fabric and could use it in a quilt I am making...Where did you get it? If you have scraps left over and want to get rid of them, let me know...

Mattee 08-18-2010 12:15 PM

I would try to cut it into pieces as small as possible - so you can't even tell what it started out as. (Can you tell I'm not a fan of the theme?) You could use it with other fabrics with script and writing on them for a sort of writing or story theme.

Tilladare 08-18-2010 12:16 PM

Do a pictoral... Birdcage with PP'ed bird, and line the bottom of the cage with the ugly FQ as newspaper liner

sahm4605 08-18-2010 12:18 PM

how many of the fq do you have? if you have a large amount of them you could cut them into squares and use a pale aqua and browns and golds in diagonal strip blocks around them, or cut them all into squares and then, if you have lots of the fqs you could alternate a solid colors and the fq's. and you can do them on a diagonal. that would be fairly easy and quick to do.