Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Uh-oh...got a problem... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/uh-oh-got-problem-t78762.html)

ginnie6 11-26-2010 05:33 AM

I have machine lust. There I said it. I don't need a new machine. Really i don't. I have several older ones now that aren't being used to their potential. And I mean there's only 1 of me and I only have a limited amount of time to sew. So why am I looking at machines online and drooling over them? Why is a cheap Brother machine at WM making my heart flutter? My old White does a perfectly good job...she even does fmq if the user would get better at it! And she's a pretty green color too. Is there a thing as machine addiction like there is fabric addiction?

feline fanatic 11-26-2010 05:36 AM

I think so and it affects us all differently. Some are addicted to vintage machines, others to something new and different. I have even been victim of this obsession. I still have my old JC Penney machine that hasn't seen the light of day in over a decade, since I got my Bernina. I wanted to keep it as a backup but I really shoud donate it to someone that truley needs a machine. Then I saw a treadle machine I just had to have. Still haven't gotten her up and running.

magpie 11-26-2010 05:37 AM

Consider yourself a collector. There are many on the board.

mom-6 11-26-2010 05:39 AM

I think there must be!
It hits me at the oddest times too...not when I'm actually sewing, just when I'm shopping or see a machine somewhere that's different from the ones I have.

katiebear1 11-26-2010 06:35 AM

Not me. I have a wonderful Pfaff expressins 2.0. Does everyting I need. The only thing I would like to do is trade her in for one that also does embroidery. Maybe someday.

Navy Wife 11-26-2010 07:04 AM

I tend to agree. I have 2 machines. One is a small Janome Gem 760. It travels well, only 12 pounds, and does most of the sewing I might need except quilting. I usually put tops together when we're traveling and hand quilt them. Or I bring them home and quilt them on my Pfaff Creative Vision. It doesn't move around easily, at least for me, and has embroidery unit. I love it and would take it in the motorhome, but it's bigger than the table I have to put it on! I have no desire or reason to get any more. I'd rather spend my $ on fabric! But we're all different and if collecting machines is what someone enjoys, go for it!

crashnquilt 11-26-2010 07:17 AM

Personally I think it must be something in our blood! I average about 3 years between machine purchases. For some reason, completely unknown to me, I can come up with some excuse to purchase a new machine of some type i.e. more powerful machine motor, more stitches, more features, etc. Since my sister is the same way, I honestly believe it is in our blood.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

pittsburgpam 11-26-2010 07:18 AM

I used to have machine envy, seeing everyone's great machines here on the board. That is until I got my Viking Sapphire! I just love that thing! It run so great, hardly ever a problem, no snarling or breaking thread. My 20 year old singer is still here for a backup and I just got a Singer treadle. My life is complete.... :)

julia58 11-26-2010 08:17 AM

I see nothing wrong with it!!! Better than other addictions

tjradj 11-26-2010 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by magpie
Consider yourself a collector. There are many on the board.

I agree. Once you move beyond having 2, then you're a collector and you can have as many as your heart desires!! Go for it, you might discover a new gem.