Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Uh-oh!!! Help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/uh-oh-help-t121805.html)

CutNup 05-08-2011 06:55 PM

Help! I purchased an Antique Rose kit from Keepsake Quilting. Service was great but.... The pattern called for 10 1/2 inch squares framed by 4-fabric strips crosscut into 2 1/2 inch units.After careful sewing and cutting the strips are 1 inch too short! What can I do? These are the side strips and if I cut the top and bottom strips 2 1/2 in, they will be waayy short. Does any of this make sense? The pattern is by Sweet Treasures.

justwannaquilt 05-08-2011 07:09 PM

Did they short you fabric or did you cut the fabric wrong? I would say that if they shorted you fabric contact them. If you cut the fabric wrong maybe see about buying replacement in that fabric!

maine ladybug 05-08-2011 07:15 PM

So, do you have two pieces for the sides that are 10 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches? And then you would need two pieces that are that are 15 inches by 2 1/2 inches for the top and bottom?
Are you saying that the longer ones are only 14 inches? or are both sets too short?
I'm just trying to understand so I might be able to help figure out what to do.

loriea 05-08-2011 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by CutNup
Help! I purchased an Antique Rose kit from Keepsake Quilting. Service was great but.... The pattern called for 10 1/2 inch squares framed by 4-fabric strips crosscut into 2 1/2 inch units.After careful sewing and cutting the strips are 1 inch too short! What can I do? These are the side strips and if I cut the top and bottom strips 2 1/2 in, they will be waayy short. Does any of this make sense? The pattern is by Sweet Treasures.

I would contact Keepsake Quilting regardless of mistake being theirs or yours. They may still have the fabric in stock.

CutNup 05-09-2011 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
So, do you have two pieces for the sides that are 10 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches? And then you would need two pieces that are that are 15 inches by 2 1/2 inches for the top and bottom?
Are you saying that the longer ones are only 14 inches? or are both sets too short?

I have cut 2 sides according to directions, and they are too short. After realizing they were too short, I haven't cut the other 2 sides. The fabric is just exactly enough for directions with none extra. the short sides are 9 1/2 in. The pieces I have not cut are 13 1/2 in wide.

Airwick156 05-09-2011 01:30 AM

I think that is so stupid that you buy a kit to make and there is no 'extra' fabric. Geez for the price they charge you would think that they could afford a few inches extra. Oh well, I have never had a quilt kit but one day I sure want to get one. :) I wish you luck, I too would see if they have extra fabric at the store.

JCquilts 05-09-2011 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by CutNup

Originally Posted by maine ladybug

I have cut 2 sides according to directions, and they are too short. After realizing they were too short, I haven't cut the other 2 sides. The fabric is just exactly enough for directions with none extra. the short sides are 9 1/2 in. The pieces I have not cut are 13 1/2 in wide.

There is something wrong with these measurments. There is no way those strips will frame a 10 1/2 inch square but they will fit a 9 1/2 square. Do the directions tell you what size the finished block should be? If you are supposed to have a 13 1/2 block, then you need to trim the square to 9 1/2.

If you are supposed to use the 10 1/2 inch block, then the directions are incorrect. And your strips should be 10 1/2 and 14 1/2 inches. If this is the case, I would contact the store for replacement fabric.

hobbykat1955 05-09-2011 03:11 AM

Most kit companies will send you extra if you are short...I'd contact the Co.

maine ladybug 05-09-2011 04:47 AM

It certainly sounds like they made the mistake with their cutting instructions. I would give them a call.

QuiltnNan 05-09-2011 05:39 AM

good luck! it would be very disappointing if you could not complete it.