Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Um...How do you get glue out of fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/um-how-do-you-get-glue-out-fabric-t59688.html)

fliedermaus 08-16-2010 12:01 PM

Very long story. Kids and glue - never a good idea, let's leave it at that.

Please, someone- how the Dickens do I try to remove glue from a quilt? Soap and water aren't helping (in any combination- hot water, cold etc) If I tried nail polish remover would that damage the quilt?

If you know the answer I would be very grateful!

mosquitosewgirl 08-16-2010 12:04 PM

What kind of glue?

amma 08-16-2010 12:09 PM

Water based, and big globs? Soak them well and scrape off the worst of it, and rinse until it all comes out.

Nail polish remover will probably take the dye out of the fabric.

If all else fails? Apply a pretty applique over the glue spot :wink:

fliedermaus 08-16-2010 12:09 PM

This is the bad part... I don't know!

Me - "What is this?"

Little Horror- "Glue"

Me- "Glue????!!!!???" *please imagine horrified face

Little Horror- "Sorry... I made finger puppets!"

I did hope it was pritt stick or something like that, but I get the feeling that someone raided Daddys tool chest because this stuff is very sticky and very stubborn :evil:

amma 08-16-2010 12:12 PM

Check Daddy's tool box for the glue, and see what the label reccomends. You can also try their website or look for a number to call.

mosquitosewgirl 08-16-2010 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by fliedermaus
This is the bad part... I don't know!

Me - "What is this?"

Little Horror- "Glue"

Me- "Glue????!!!!???" *please imagine horrified face

Little Horror- "Sorry... I made finger puppets!"

I did hope it was pritt stick or something like that, but I get the feeling that someone raided Daddys tool chest because this stuff is very sticky and very stubborn :evil:

Could the little horror show you which glue? If not, do you have Goof Off there, if so try it? If you don't have Goof Off I'd try soaking it in vinegar, scraping, re-soaking, repeat...

fliedermaus 08-16-2010 12:15 PM

Um... never heard of goof-off but love the name of it!

Vingear sounds good- I'll try that, thanks.

Will ask the little man if he knows where the glue is now.

Cheers guys, let you know how it goes!

Quilter7x 08-16-2010 12:18 PM

There's some stuff called Goo Gone, maybe that would help? I'm sure the little man didn't have any idea he was being bad. But I'm sure know he knows not to touch mommy's quilts any more! :)

mosquitosewgirl 08-16-2010 12:19 PM

good luck and keep us posted...just in case our little ones do the same thing...

sewmuchmore 08-16-2010 12:40 PM

I am so sorry this has happen. But goo gone helps to remove grease, gum,crayon, and tape I have even use it to move permanent marks on my table. It is great I keep a large bottle in my sewing room. I have to watch it hubby like too take it.