Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Unique Crazy Quilt Pillow (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/unique-crazy-quilt-pillow-t35866.html)

sunkistmi 02-02-2010 11:32 PM

My great-aunt lived in Spearfish, SD and was an absolute genius at repurposing things. She used an old chicken coop as a craft store and I have many memories of spending time there doing crafts. I have some of the things she made as Christmas ornament and think about her each year. Anyways, she took care of the cematary and was responsible for disposing of the floral arrangements after they were all dead. She saw all the beautiful ribbons used in the arrangements and started collecting them. She cleaned them if needed and ironed them flat, then used them in crazy quilt pillows, doing all the hand embroidery. I'm not sure they would be washable because it was not 'fabric' ribbon but the one I have is absolutely beautiful. I have never know anyone who could take something worthless and end up with something beautiful. She was 95 when she died. The pillow I have is at least 32 years old and looks brand new. Course I try to take care of it too. No kitties allowed. I'll try to post a picture. Has anyone else heard of using ribbons like this?

amma 02-02-2010 11:35 PM

I would love to see a picture of this :D:D:D
Your Great Aunt sounds like she was quite a woman!!!

earthwalker 02-03-2010 02:01 AM

A picture would be great...seems your great-aunt was a true environmentalist!

MamaBear61 02-03-2010 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
A picture would be great...seems your great-aunt was a true environmentalist!

Sounds like she was way ahead of her time when is comes to reduce, reuse, recycle

Oklahoma Suzie 02-03-2010 06:03 AM

a pic would be wonderful.

Quilt Mom 02-03-2010 06:04 AM

When my grandmother died, Mom collected the ribbons from all the floral arrangements, cleaned and pressed them, and gave them to all of the grandchildren. I have not personally used the ribbon, but some of my cousins have made them into keepsakes of one kind or another.

I had not thought about the ribbon in years...

Baywatch quilter 02-03-2010 03:21 PM

It sounds like you have a wonderful memento of her.... she was going "green" before that term was even invented! I would vaccum the pillow.

mrspete 02-03-2010 09:01 PM

A dear friend of mine had some of the ribbons from the funeral wreaths received in honor of her husband. They took sips of each and made flowers and pasted them to a covered background and framed them. I was a beautiful pictures and memorium. I've seen Bible bookmarkers made similarily.

tigger5464 02-04-2010 01:36 AM

Sounds really beautiful...Also sounds like she was doing what everyone was forced to do during war times. (At least that what I was told by Grandmother and Mom) What a great keepsake for you to have :D

littlehud 02-04-2010 09:59 PM

What a wonderful memento to have. She used what was given to her and made something beautiful.