Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Unpicking Tips? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/unpicking-tips-t16255.html)

BlueChicken 02-06-2009 02:33 AM

I've had a quilt top stuck to my design wall for several months now, it's a whole top with a mistake smack bang in the middle. I kept thinking I would ignore the mistake and keep going. But I've been inspired by the stories of mammoth unpicking on here, and so I've started pulling it apart.

Have taken off the borders tonight, and started on the blocks. Does anyone have any tips to make unpicking easier? I have a "quick unpick", I think you guys call them seam rippers? I'm easing the two sides apart to expose the cotton, and slicing two or three stitches at a time. I can't pick from the flat side, it's black cotton on black fabric, so too hard to see.

Does anyone have any tips?

azdesertrat 02-06-2009 04:26 AM

Sorry I really don't have any tips its just a slow tideous process,one that i do not look forward to at any time.I have always heard that you should do it from the backside,but i do it where it is easier for me to get to.I like what you call the seam rippers,is that what is on the package also when you buy them?
good luck

coldtoesinmi 02-06-2009 04:48 AM

I personally prefer a razor blade to a seam ripper. It seems easier to manipulate

mary quite contrary 02-06-2009 05:23 AM

When working on black? Lots of light. Now wasn't that just too helpful! I'm sorry you are going through this.

Chele 02-06-2009 05:33 AM

A new seam ripper might make the going easier. They get dull just like blades and scissors. Good luck. It's going to be gorgeous when you get it done!

mpspeedy 02-06-2009 07:51 AM

Hi,

You may find this hard to believe but it works great. Get yourself a mustasche trimmer. You can buy them at Wal-mart or CVS for about $15 or less. You may be lucky and your husband already has one. It takes a little getting used to. The trick is to hold it the opposite way you would use it to shave with the blades pointed down. Hold the seam allowance open with one hand and lightly touch the stitches with the trimmer. They sell a more expensive model in the sewing mail order catalogues to use to rip out embroidery mistakes.
I took one to a quilt retreat several years ago and they passed it around the whole time. On the way home most of the girls stopped and bought their own. When you are done run one of those sticky lint rollers over the fabric to pick up the cut stitches.

Good luck

Izy 02-06-2009 12:29 PM

Ok..this is how I do it, I slide my ripper under every 4th stitch right along one seam...then turn over and pull the bottom thread which will come out in one long piece then you can just pull out the snippets...

I prefer this method as it doesn't distort your fabrics at all, the stress is on the long thread not the fabric...practice made me perfect at this technique :lol:

Quilter101 02-06-2009 01:07 PM

Lots of great tips here, I will really have to try these!

BlueChicken 02-06-2009 01:35 PM

Thanks so much for the hints!

Over here seam rippers do have Quick Unpick on the packet, it's what they've always been called. Not sure if I'm allowed to put links for advertising, so if you google "quick unpick" and "New Zealand" you'll find one.

And funnily enough, hubby does have one of those moustache trimmers! What a brilliant idea, I'm going to try that tonight! I normally do the every third or fourth stitch thing too, but because this is black and there are so many seams, I've given up, just can't get a good rhythm going.

I managed to get quite a bit done last night while yapping on the phone to a mate, so feeling a bit more positive this morning. Will report back when I've tried the trimmer.

:-)

mpeters1200 02-06-2009 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Izy
Ok..this is how I do it, I slide my ripper under every 4th stitch right along one seam...then turn over and pull the bottom thread which will come out in one long piece then you can just pull out the snippets...

I prefer this method as it doesn't distort your fabrics at all, the stress is on the long thread not the fabric...practice made me perfect at this technique :lol:

This is how I do it too...from a tip on this board. Seems a lot easier and it doesn't warp my fabric.