Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   update on E-Bay goof up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/update-e-bay-goof-up-t110363.html)

Kappy 03-25-2011 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tennessee Suzi
Well, I got the double wedding ring quilt today. Pretty speedy delivery I'd say! There are several holes and discolorations in the quilt that did not show in the picture. She did send me some vintage fabric to finish one of the rings, but I'm not sure what I will do about the white. There had been straight pins in it, thus rusty spots. All in all it is a very old and pretty quilt. When I figure out how to post, I will do so.
I also received a sweet note from the seller. It's not the end of the world and a good lesson learned. Thanks for all the comments and advise.

Do you know that if you have a scanner you can scan the parts of the fabric from another part of the quilt that looks like the part that needs repair and then print it out and it will match the piece that you need to replace. Then you just stitch it on. Have not tired this, but I remember getting this tip from a quilting program on TV. Made sense to me. 8-)

kathidahl 03-25-2011 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kappy

Well, I got the double wedding ring quilt today. Pretty speedy delivery I'd say! There are several holes and discolorations in the quilt that did not show in the picture. She did send me some vintage fabric to finish one of the rings, but I'm not sure what I will do about the white. There had been straight pins in it, thus rusty spots. All in all it is a very old and pretty quilt. When I figure out how to post, I will do so.
I also received a sweet note from the seller. It's not the end of the world and a good lesson learned. Thanks for all the comments and advise.

Do you know that if you have a scanner you can scan the parts of the fabric from another part of the quilt that looks like the part that needs repair and then print it out and it will match the piece that you need to replace. Then you just stitch it on. Have not tired this, but I remember getting this tip from a quilting program on TV. Made sense to me. 8-)

You need an inkjet printer for this process...check your printer to be sure you have the right process going on...otheriwise the color will not be "set"

gotta-sew 03-25-2011 09:34 PM

Nice that you worked it out in a way you are happy with. I also bought a precut quilt kit on ebay. HUGH mistake. Blocks were cut including the salvage edge. One group of the center blocks were cut to small....any way rendering it useless. The seller attempted to make some corrections after I left a less than positive feedback. I still don't have what it takes to make this quilt. The fabric is no longer available. I learned my lesson for sure! Wouldn't it be interesting if we had the same seller? things that make you go Hummmmmm!

nellie 03-25-2011 10:15 PM

maybe you can add some applique designs on it where the spots are to hide the stains of rust just a idea

madamekelly 03-26-2011 02:22 AM

My good friend tells me that tooth paste (white ones, for obvious reasons) will take rust off of things. Try it in a small area?

Tennessee Suzi 03-26-2011 05:11 PM

I must be having brain cramps because I don't understand this process. Sounds like I'm sewing paper to my quilt. Now, I know this isn't right so maybe you can help me to "get it". Thanks

madamekelly 03-26-2011 05:59 PM

I must be having brain cramps because I don't understand this process. Sounds like I'm sewing paper to my quilt. Now, I know this isn't right so maybe you can help me to "get it". Thanks

There is specially treated printer fabric out there that is made Permanent as part of the instructions. I believe that you heat 'set' it, somehow. There is also a product that makes it iron on, that may work (?) Call around to big box stores, sewing supply, and /or..."google" 'print on fabric'. The ones you do not want are the ones made for 'dry clean only'. They will have to dry clean the quilt. That leaves some odor in the fabric, (not good to sleep with). Water, on this type printer fabric, washes away the picture. (One mistake, some where in the future, would be just awful. I wouldn't risk it.) Printer ink is water based, and there is a way to make the colors permanent if you use the right product. Good Luck! Don't forget to post pictures. :thumbup: