Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Update on garage sewing room decision... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/update-garage-sewing-room-decision-t201188.html)

DawnA 09-22-2012 05:40 AM

Update on garage sewing room decision...

Thank you all for your input! I have decided that the cost of making a separate room in the garge (the way I want it) would be way too much. So as of now I am still sewing at the dinner table. All three bedrooms are in use by ourselves and children. We have a galley kitchen and the dinning room is where we eat. lol I think I might have hurt my 12 year olds feelings the other day talking out loud. I mentioned that when she goes to college at least I would have a sewing room. lol She looked horrified and informed me she is never moving out! lol

Lori S 09-22-2012 05:49 AM

Even though I am not the oldest, or the first to leave home, my bedroom was the one that was converted into a sewing room. I got over it... !
The time will come when that sewing room will happen, till then keep collecting idea's.

DogHouseMom 09-22-2012 05:54 AM

My mother had no problem making her feelings known .. I'm the youngest and the last to leave. She told my husband-to-be that once he takes me he can't bring me back cause she was going to fill my bedroom with cement.

Tartan 09-22-2012 05:57 AM

Too funny! At 12 she is horrified but at 18 she will be ready to fly the nest for University or college. Hard to belive only 6 more years isn't it?

chairjogger 09-22-2012 06:17 AM

I'm sorry your dream room will not happen. Pls keep sewing/quilting. It will give you something of yourself.

Boston1954 09-22-2012 06:27 AM

I had a sewing closet at one time and considered myself lucky, as I have heard many stories of the dining room table is the sewing room for some. Keep dreaming. It may happen. I dream of returning to Massachusetts some day. So far it is just a dream.

Annaquilts 09-22-2012 06:47 AM

Is there any way you can find a little space in your bedroom to put a desk and chair? I found that worked for me when we lived with 12 people in a double wide mobile home. I put storage bins under the bed and FQ in the dresser and the socks and undies went in the night stands. We were blessed with a walk in closet so I had several bins of fabric, my sewing machine and ironing board in there along with a bolt of batting.

charmpacksplus 09-22-2012 08:22 AM

My "sewing room" is also at the dining room table. We eat on the sofa when the "sewing room" is in use... which is most of the time.

nhweaver 09-22-2012 09:06 AM

A co-worker of mine who is space challenged made a decision to take the hall closet, and turn it into a computer area for her to work at home. Family was in an uproar, but - they worked out the details - shelves in the garage for the winter boots, coats went into the owner's closet, and what wasn't needed went to the goodwill. Would that work for you?

gmacindy 09-22-2012 09:18 AM

Talk about space challenge............I live in a 31 ft 5th wheel........ ihave made a queen quilt, double and twins plus many table runners in a vey small sewing area - approx 36 inches. I use space bags to compress my fabric,,(I do have an abundance of fabric, enuf for 4 twin quitls to be completed for xmas and 4 queens after they are finished. I do have to clean up the area when finished, so there is no mess. Where ther is a will there IS a way!!!!