Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Use bias binding on a straight edge? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/use-bias-binding-straight-edge-t116695.html)

CAJAMK 04-16-2011 07:29 PM

Today while it was nasty rain & wind I decided to make a new runner for my dining room table. I am now ready to bind and I am tired of bringing the backing to the front. It's time to learn new things. Well whatever site I was on must have been giving directions for a scalloped edge quilt but I made my own bias binding now ready to go on the runner which is just one big pieced & quilted rectangle. Is it ok to put a bias binding on a straight edged project is my question. Also, do I just fold it in half, iron then fold the outer pieces to the middle and start around the middle of one edge leaving about 8"? Then start sewing after leaving an 8 or so inch tail? Oh and how do i miter the corners with one huge long piece of binding? Newbie here!

katesnanna 04-16-2011 08:34 PM

To answer your main question, yes you can use your binding on a straight edge. Just be careful not to stretch it too tight if it is cut on the bias. I was taught to just cut my binding fabric across the width of the fabric and it has always worked fine for me.
As for mitering the corners,(1) Sew to within 1/4" of the edge of the quilt, stop.(2) Raise presser foot and swivel quilt as if to continue along the next side.(3) Now reverse stitch so you are off the quilt.(4) Fold fabric back on itself at a 45* angle from corner. (5) Now bring fabric forward and lie along side to be sewn, while keeping miter in place with left hand (or right hand if you are left handed) Not as hard as it sounds. That's all there is too it.

amma 04-16-2011 10:10 PM

Bias binding will last longer than binding cut on the straight of grain.
Congratulations on trying binding this time :D:D:D

quilting cat 04-16-2011 10:32 PM

I just bound a small quilt today, using ready-made wide double-fold bias tape around a 40" square. So, yes, you can use bias on a straight edge! (I have to follow the instructions to do the corners, so can't guide you on that!)

gale 04-16-2011 11:32 PM

I also read that it's easier to miter corners with bias binding. I haven't tried this yet though.

ckcowl 04-17-2011 01:53 AM

there are some good tutorials to watch to show you how-
you fold your bias strip in half lengthwise, press, line up the raw edges to the raw edge of your runner top, leaving a tail (to join as you come around) stitch your bias binding to the front of your project using a 1/4" seam--when you come around to the beginning you (overlap) the two ends; cut to the size of the binding (often 2 1/2") put the two ends right sides together and join with a diagonal seam, press and continue to stitch binding to the top. press to set the stitches then fold to the back and hand stitch into place covering the seam line. the mitered corners? when you are coming to the corner put a (dot) exactly at the *turn-point* (if using a 1/4" seam then the dot would be 1/4" from the corner- 1/2" the dot is 1/2" from corner)
stop exactly on the dot. remove the quilt, fold the binding straight up, then straight down-lining up the next edge and continue at the 1/4" (or mark you are using) and continue to the next corner.

LindaR 04-17-2011 08:10 AM

I do all the time especially if I want the stripe on a binding to go diagonally...always like the look

ghostrider 04-17-2011 08:19 AM

There was a time when all bindings were bias cut; then people decided to go faster and cheaper. As amma said, bias bindings last longer since no single thread is on the edge.