Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Used Machine Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/used-machine-question-t193395.html)

crafterrn1 07-02-2012 07:35 AM

Used Machine Question

I have a used 153 Bernina Quilters Edition. I no longer need this machine. I had to replace it. My question is it needs an expensive part $450.00. Should I sell it as is. The price would be less than 500 dollars. Which even if they bought the part it needs, it would keep it under 1000 dollars. It does run and sews well for the most part. I sew every day and it seems to not like to get fuzzy under the foot plate. I clean the foot plate every bobbin change. I also have cleaned it during a long run of sewing. Any comments and thoughts are welcome. Luann in CT

Candace 07-02-2012 07:53 AM

The latest 153 sold on ebay in great condition for $790.00. Honestly, I would have problems buying a machine that needed a $450.00 part, if I could buy a great condition one for not much more . Especially if this price doesn't include labor? I would consider your machine a "parts" machine now. Parts machines don't fetch much. Just my opinion:> Good luck.

sewmary 07-02-2012 08:03 AM

I have an older PFaff which needs repair also - but only about $100.00. The catch is that this is a very tempermental machine and needs this repair about twice a year.

I wouldn't think of selling it to someone except for parts.

I would not pay $500.00 either for a machine that needs extensive work. There are much better deals out there.

crafterrn1 07-02-2012 08:03 AM

Good info. It is in working order. It needs the cam part that holds the bobbin in. I used it well. If I need to give it away. I will. It will run great for my niece in law if she wants it. The part was composite but is now made in metal due to the wearing out reason. Luann in CT

DebraK 07-02-2012 08:47 AM

I like your honesty.

Lori S 07-02-2012 09:52 AM

I know I would not purchase a machine that was not in working order.. meaning all parts and functions are free of damage or in need of repair/parts ... exception maybe a very unique vintage.

crafterrn1 07-02-2012 10:00 AM

Thanks I am a very Honest person. I believe in Karma and I really do not want bad Karma. I may just purchase the part and then sell it. The reason I haven't done that yet is I use it everyday. So I will check withmy repair man and sew what we can do to get it back to excellent running condition! Luann

BKrenning 07-02-2012 09:01 PM

I would suggest taking it machine shopping with you and trading it in on a new one just like car shopping when your old car needs the a/c fixed. The dealer can probably get it repaired much cheaper than you can and might give you more on your trade than you would be able to recoup after fixing & selling it or selling it as is.

judy363905 07-02-2012 09:25 PM

That is an excellent idea. I also have a Bernina 153 Quilters Edition... have not have anyproblems -- but will be extra careful with that black cam that holds thebobbin in... Thank you for the heads up...

Judy In Phx, AZ

Originally Posted by BKrenning (Post 5334797)
I would suggest taking it machine shopping with you and trading it in on a new one just like car shopping when your old car needs the a/c fixed. The dealer can probably get it repaired much cheaper than you can and might give you more on your trade than you would be able to recoup after fixing & selling it or selling it as is.