Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Used quilting magazines... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/used-quilting-magazines-t174121.html)

Holba 01-02-2012 06:37 AM

Used quilting magazines...

I was trying to organize (can we say New Year's resolution?) last night and started going through magazines - McCalls, Quilter's Newsletter,etc. I did tear out a pattern from every 1-3 magazines and put in recycling box and then saw a post from someone looking for a magazine and thought - maybe I should not recycle after all. Ideas?

gollytwo 01-02-2012 06:46 AM

I rip out what I want or xerox it and then pass on to fellow local quilters who don't subscribe.

ghostrider 01-02-2012 06:48 AM

It's your call. I recently bought 160 back issues of Quilter's Newsletter Magazine from a member, but none of them had patterns torn out of them. You could offer the 'whole' ones for postage and recycle the ones with patterns missing...you just can't copy the patterns for yourself and then transfer the magazine to someone else; that's not legal.

Karen's Kreations 01-02-2012 06:52 AM

If you belong to a guild you could take them to a meeting and let everyone take their pick.

Dandish 01-02-2012 07:13 AM

Confession: I have a terribly hard time throwing old quilting mags out - at this point I probably have a few hundred here. I have them on a bookshelf and I do occasionally just go grab a stack and browse through them. I've bought old ones as well as saved the ones I subscribed to myself. I only have 1 sub now, so it's slowed down a lot. I just can't part with them at this point.

sewmuchlove 01-02-2012 07:18 AM

Oh gosh. I can't bear to throw out a quilting magazine even though my husband keeps encouraging me to do so. Let him or my kids do it after I'm gone ---LOL.

Rose Marie 01-02-2012 07:30 AM

Someday quilt mags could become collectors items. Who knows.
I do not tear up mine as my tastes change. I just wish they would have pictures of all the quilts in the issue on the back cover. One of my crochet mags did that and it makes it so easy to just look at the back cover to find something of interest.
Fons and Porter at least show them inside the back but thats not near as helpful.

Holba 01-02-2012 10:23 AM

"you just can't copy the patterns for yourself and then transfer the magazine to someone else; that's not legal."

Can you help me understand this? Sorry to be dense. If I gave credit to the person whose pattern it is and where it came from and when, why could I not give the magazine away to someone else?

But truly it would have been better to Xerox but with a color machine I see. I need to see colors. Thanks...

quiltingcandy 01-02-2012 10:29 AM

With the internet so available I quit saving my magazines. I tear out the patterns I like and recycle the rest. Even with that I have more patterns I could make in a life-time. Also, some times I look through the ones I saved and wonder what was I thinking, but don't throw them away. I keep them around to see how my taste has changed over the years.

raptureready 01-02-2012 11:14 AM

At retreat we bring whole magazines or partials and pass them around. Everyone takes what they want and then we leave the rest there for future retreaters to look through or take.