Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   used/recycled fabric - how to get the "newness" back? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/used-recycled-fabric-how-get-newness-back-t217701.html)

Puddin57 03-29-2013 10:55 AM

used/recycled fabric - how to get the "newness" back?

I'm a very new quilter (still at the knotting stage) and so didn't want to invest a whole lot of money into fabric just yet. So when I wandered into Goodwill/Value Village, it was like a light bulb went off in my head when I ended up in the bedding department. These sheets are perfect for a quilt backing and the pillow cases are the right size for fabric swatches. I love the idea of the new "3 R's" - recycle, reduce, reuse...but I really, really, REALLY miss the crispness of new fabric. The sizing. I've washed and ironed lthem with starch, but some of these fabrics are sooo well loved that they are really thin and very fine - but the colour and pattern goes amazingly well with the quilt I'm working on. Any suggestions on getting back the "snappyness" of new material?

QuiltE 03-29-2013 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Puddin57 (Post 5963273)
.................. I've washed and ironed lthem with starch, but some of these fabrics are sooo well loved that they are really thin and very fine ...................

They are telling you that they are past their prime for the purpose you are intending ... pass them by!

mike'sgirl 03-29-2013 11:21 AM

I wouldn't use them either. You never know when one piece might rip because it's just too old. You don't want that to happen when you have put as much work as one does into a quilt. Get your fabric in the bargain bin at a LQS or walmart if you're not wanting to spend a lot, use the linens for the bed. P.S. I totally get the three R's and do that as well when appropriate. Good luck.Gina

barri1 03-29-2013 11:27 AM

I guess I lucked out. The thrift store I go to had new amazingly good quality sheets, and I bought a bunch. I bought a bunch of shirts that were Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren, and high end brands..

Puddin57 03-29-2013 11:49 AM

It makes sense not to use the threadbare ones, but would it be your recommendation not to use any used material? Just like barri1, I did pick up some nice quality sheets for $4.00 ... and they do have the crispness of new fabrics that I'm looking for...just not a very practical pattern (yet)

Mom mom to 4 03-29-2013 11:52 AM

I agree don't use those sheets for a quilt! I like to visit the thrift shop that are own by " Pop & Mom" so to speak . I find that they are willing to help you out! Goodwill can have some good bargains if you hit it at the right time.

JackieMN 03-29-2013 12:01 PM

I say go for it if you can find good quality ones. The quilters that came before us used every little scrap of fabric they could get their hands on. I have a quilt made by MIL that has apron, shirt and pajama scraps as well as pillowcase and sheet remnants. She began quilting in the late 30's and used what she had. And I treasure the quilts she left behind.

Puddin57 03-29-2013 12:18 PM

I"ll skip the threadbare ones (or maybe double up the fabric on a smaller project) and find something else for the backing then - back to the thrift shop tomorrow with a new selection criteria in mind....I also picked up some linen napkin samples which I thought would be good for accent pieces - brand new with the sample tags still on them

hopetoquilt 03-29-2013 12:26 PM

Set threadbare ones aside and use them to practice FMQ when you get there or for foundation for string quilt.

Puddin57 03-29-2013 12:32 PM

what a wonderful idea! it didn't dawn on me to practise FMQ with them - great suggestion!! then I won't feel as if I wasted my money