Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using bedsheets to back your quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-bedsheets-back-your-quilts-t74091.html)

sue38 11-03-2010 04:18 PM

I was about to embarq on a new method of backing my quilts using bedsheets. I read the following which has changed my mind altogether. I know that many of the quilter here use bedsheets but were they aware of the following or is it all hooey? Sheets have a high thread count, which forces your quilting needle to break the sheet's threads as it pierces through. This leaves holes in your backing and diminishes the stability of your sheet. Quilting fabric has a looser weave, which allows your needle to easily slide between the threads and keeps your backing fabric intact. Actually, it makes a lot of sense to me! What do you think?

amma 11-03-2010 04:19 PM

Batiks generally have a higher thread count and we still love 'em and use them :wink: I think it is just a matter of preference :D:D:D

nursie76 11-03-2010 04:19 PM

It does make sense, but the thread count on sheets varies greatly. High thread count is heavy, but some of the lowest thread count sheets are almost like cheesecloth. I machine quilt, so wouldn't worry about it, but wouldn't use the real high count, too heavy and expensive to boot.

erstan947 11-03-2010 04:23 PM

The hems on sheets are sewn with needles and that does not break down the sheet. Does not make sence to me. I hand quilted 2 quilts with sheets for backing. It did make it harder on my hands but did well. So like it's been said before personal preference.

leaha 11-03-2010 04:26 PM

I never, never use a sheet for the back of my quilts, for the reasons in first post.

Candace 11-03-2010 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by sue38
I was about to embarq on a new method of backing my quilts using bedsheets. I read the following which has changed my mind altogether. I know that many of the quilter here use bedsheets but were they aware of the following or is it all hooey? Sheets have a high thread count, which forces your quilting needle to break the sheet's threads as it pierces through. This leaves holes in your backing and diminishes the stability of your sheet. Quilting fabric has a looser weave, which allows your needle to easily slide between the threads and keeps your backing fabric intact. Actually, it makes a lot of sense to me! What do you think?

Load of bull if you ask me! Anyone who tells you, you can't use sheets is selling fabric

;) That's all sheets are...fabric. Some better quality than others and since a good portion of quilters quilt by machine thread count doesn't matter like it used to. Hand quilters need to think about getting a needle through it. I've never used a sheet but certainly will. Ikea has some awesome 100 percent, wonderful quality sheets!

littlehud 11-03-2010 04:36 PM

I have no problem with using sheets. They are fabric after all.

julie777 11-03-2010 04:40 PM

huh never used sheets before

Cathie R 11-03-2010 04:41 PM

I hand quilt and sheet do not needle well. I prefer muslin.

mhunt1717 11-03-2010 04:46 PM

I use them and love them!