Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using Blue Jeans for quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-blue-jeans-quilts-t143865.html)

stormatsea45 08-10-2011 08:53 AM

Any and all parts! I've used them all. Just watch the zippers, they are hard on needles! :lol:

Iamquilter 08-10-2011 09:16 AM

I made all four of my children jean quilts from their jeans and used flannel on the back, I cut the squares at 6 " or whatever size fit on the legs and good parts of the jeans.

AliKat 08-10-2011 10:13 AM

I don't anymore as these quilts are too heavy for me to manipulate.

Darn.

ali

Halo 08-10-2011 10:31 AM

I make lots of jean quilts. Have sold several of them in fact. I even get orders for them that want photos from the rodeos put on them. I make some of them with the pockets also. I most always put fleece for the backing. That way you don't need batting. Flannel is also nice for backing. I do several patterns & they make nice heavy quilts & last for a very long time. I get most of my jeans from friends.

Slow2Sew 08-10-2011 10:51 AM

I found a Q'size bedskirt made out of heavier denim at a thrift store. I used to as a wrap around backing/binding on a throw. It's very warm, soft and everyone's favorite.

JoyjoyMarie 08-10-2011 11:02 AM

We had a neighborhood "quilt for charity" group for about 8 years, and we used jeans for quite a few quilts, and also made quite a few "funky" bags also. We used flannel to accent some, and I did a big one using long strips instead of squares, with pockets sewn on the 4 corners. I still have one in mind that I want to do using some eyelet curtain trim (also recycled, of course, like the jeans), but it's still on the "do later" list.

Fran Juern 08-10-2011 11:08 AM

I use the legs and any other good part. I cut them into 6" wide strip and sew them togather end to end. Then roll up. I then cut 3" strips and do the same. When I wan to make a quilt I measure off the length I want for the quilt and embroider wildlife designs in the large pieces. I alternate sewing the strips togather. When you do it this way you don't have to match any seams. It is like you are laying bricks. I try to use flannel for the backing. I tie some of them and have some machine quilted. These are really a hit with the hunters in the family. I have also made other themes. Golf , flowers, gambling, kids designs etc.

cheryl rearick 08-10-2011 11:13 AM

I use any part of it I can use. I've showed some blue jean quilts I made they are posted here on the board. I also use one pocket per row. I do not like using a pocket if it has bare threads, could be a waste of a good quilt. I use fleecing on the back and bind with WASHED cotton. Another board member showed me how to make really cute swing purses using cotton and material. SOOOOO cute. I've heard about the denim rugs, so far never seen one. have fun and for sure it will turn out for you. I use 7 inch blocks in my quilts and 7 blocks across by 11 down, OH the reason i like fleece is because it is 60 inches wide. cheap when on sale at JoAnna's.... I also cut blocks 6 inch, 5 inch 4 inch and 3 inch. Small is great in a baby quilt or toss pillows. I hand tie ALL of my denim quilts because I like hand tied look. :)

Luscious Marilyn 08-10-2011 11:25 AM

While at the good will store or garage sales, check out the denium jumpers or denium skirts,which yield a lot of fabric, and much lighter in weight, especailly when snipping front seams on a "rag quilt".

Val in IN 08-10-2011 01:49 PM

I use the legs to cut up for quilts and the top part of the jeans for purses.