Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using Blue Jeans for quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-blue-jeans-quilts-t143865.html)

jme 08-10-2011 08:18 PM

The first quilt I ever made was completely denim. I cut up my dad's old wranglers.

cheryl rearick 09-16-2011 10:28 AM

I've made a few, use legs, some GOOD pockets, My squares are 7" x 7" (do cut and use smaller) 7 squares across and 11 a squares down. back with fleece, bind with cotton and everyone loves them come winter, Most sit in the living room just waiting to be snuggled in while watching TV, eating pop corn :) I have posted some here. By the way I use one pocket per row and yarn tie. have fun. I also mix lights and darks. Have also found stretch ( I do not like as well)

sguillot 09-16-2011 10:46 AM

I am going to make a rag quilt out of old blue jeans an back it with flannel for my son for Christmas. I am going to use the Accuquilt Rag cutter. It will save a lot of time and be easier on the hands. I can't wait to get it started hopefully this week-end.

simplyme 09-16-2011 01:54 PM

I made one last year. It had crazy patch squares and I used old blue jeans for the sashing. I pinked the edges so when I washed it, it would have a ragged effect. I also used old polo shirts to make the quilt. It turned out great perfact for a 20 something guy.

carmanmarie 09-17-2011 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by feffertim
I also made a rag quilt with blue jeans and included pockets in some of the squares. It is made with homespun on the front and denim on the back

I am making a homespun/jean quilt now. Did you put a batting in it?

quilter1430 09-17-2011 12:05 PM

Being a longarm quilter, I've quilted several quilts made out of blue jeans, if you can call it quilting, because I didn't use any batting, just a flannel back. They turned out very nice!

pamglad 09-12-2012 02:38 AM

I have soome 5" squares in flannel and wonder if i cut some 5" squares in cotton can they be mixed to make a rag quilt for a toddler, will it still have the fray effect...

barri1 09-12-2012 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by raedar63 (Post 3906911)
Absolutly! I infact just cut some up today, I am useing the ones I cut up today to make rag rugs as they are stained pretty bad We are farmers and truckdrivers here the guys get pretty dirty lol, the stains wont show in woven od braided rugs though :) I try not to waste anything :)

Search jean quilts here and on the internet under images you will get lots of ideas. I even see pockets on some. My boys still use the ones my MIL made them probly 15 years ago. They get better with age!

I have loads of scraps from two quilts I just made. I woul love to know how to make the rag rugs. I would hate to throw out the scraps, but theya re annoying me.
As for what parts of the jeans to use? ALL. The pockets, and zippers etc add eye appeal.

ragquilter 09-12-2012 03:27 AM

Yes, I mainly use the legs for rag quilts. If I find large jeans (44" or larger waist) I make shopping bags. They are very durable and easy to wash when things leak or the cat sleeps in one I left of the floor. I like the larger jeans for this because I can carry 2 gallons of milk in one bag. Then I also have the pockets for coupons or keys and money so I don't have to carry a purse.

Toni C 09-12-2012 06:08 AM

Wow Sept97 I bet that is heavy! Nice use of different colors! I feel like such a dork. Never thought of light color denim. Mine are for the car.