Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using a different colored bobbin thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-different-colored-bobbin-thread-t189451.html)

HeatherAnne 05-19-2012 05:23 PM

Using a different colored bobbin thread

Hello I am new here and this is my first post... I am stippling a quint and want to use a different colored bobbin thread so it blends better with the backing. Any tips on how not to have that thread show on the quilt top?

JanTx 05-19-2012 05:31 PM

I often use a different colored bobbin thread when quilting - in fact more often than not. The bigger the contrast the more you may see it on the front - if someone has a way to preven that I'd love to hear it. I figure we are just right up on top of our projects and this is simply not noticable to anyone else. Step away from your quilt and see if you can tell anything about the stitches!

Welcome from south Texas!

Lois-nounoe 05-19-2012 05:44 PM

I would like to know if anyone has used duel perpose thread to hand quilt if they couldn't find the color they want in Hand Quilting threat. And I have used different thread on top and bottom as well as regular thread on bottom and clear on top. Works for me.

Tartan 05-19-2012 05:46 PM

The only way I have found to use 2 different coloured threads is to make a practice sandwich. I fiddle with my tensions to get the stitches balanced as much as possible. If I really have trouble, I try to pull the top down further to the back so it's less noticeable. Another trick is to use variegated thread in the top so that if a few pookies show, they blend with the variegated thread.

HeatherAnne 05-19-2012 05:50 PM

Hi JanTx
I appreciate the welcome and the different perspective... You are correct that I have only looked at it sitting at the machine testing the tension etc.. I will try a larger test square then stand back from it. Thanks so much :)

HeatherAnne 05-19-2012 05:59 PM

I will certainly keep up the tension fiddling. The colors are orange on top and black on the back. Verigated thread is a good idea too... But I haven't found one that has orange and black and I don't want to take away from the focus on the design of the quilt

auntpiggylpn 05-19-2012 06:15 PM

I took a FMQ class at my fave LQS. The instructer is a fabulous quilter and does all of his FMQ on high end Bernina. He (yep, he!) said that he has never been able to get the tension set just right to keep the top thread from showing on the back or the bottom thread from sewing on the top! He recommended to use the same color on top and bottom. . .

BellaBoo 05-19-2012 06:37 PM

My Singer 301 will not show the bobbin thread in the top stitches. Why can't they make the new machines this good?

alisonquilts 05-19-2012 07:08 PM

Welcome from NC!

I use different colored threads on top and bottom alot. Sometimes you can get them balanced just right if the thread weights are identical, sometimes if the backing fabric and the quilt top are different weights you can do better with different weight threads (heavier on top and lighter weight on bottom if backing is a lighter weight fabric than top). I love the idea of using variegated thread to smooth out the oopsies (nice one Tartan!) and will be trying that one post haste.

Another thing to remember is that as the quilt fluffs up, whether from relaxing coming out of the quilting tension, or after it has been washed, much of the threadwork will sink into the topography, and not be very noticeable at all.

Post pics when you decide on a combination...curious minds want to know.

Alison

JanTx 05-19-2012 07:09 PM

I also use a varigated top thread as often as possible. But ... not always possible. Found a red/black I aboslutely loved, but now with just a tiny bit left on the spool I can't figure out what brand it is and can't remember when/where I bought it. When ordering online I often fill in the gaps with thread - the gap between my order and free shipping, that is. SO ... no telling where it came from.