Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using felt for a design wall (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-felt-design-wall-t169279.html)

dreamgirl 11-21-2011 07:13 AM

Using felt for a design wall

I want to make a new design wall, but I was thinking about using felt instead of flannel. Has anyone ever tried this?

amma 11-21-2011 07:18 AM

I think the reason batting works better is the nap is a little different. I tried out flannel and warm and natural batting, IMHO the warm and natural worked better :) :) :)

DogHouseMom 11-21-2011 07:27 AM

Wondering why you want to try felt? It's so much more expensive than flanel or as Amma mentioned - batting.

I use flanel, have no problems with stuff sticking to it. One exception was the landscape quilt I was working on. After a while, after layer and layer of fabric and polyester thread to hold each little bit of fabric on, the quilt was far too heavy and I had to hang it with binder clips. Other than that ... I've got a finished bargello (my avatar actually) that is about 30" square just "stuck" to the wall and it stays there - no pins. Hasn't moved in months.

thimblebug6000 11-21-2011 08:35 AM

Libraries use felt boards with felt shapes for story telling and they stick well, but I'm not sure that 100% cotton would stick to the felt board. Especially if you are wanting to leave it and walk away for awhile. Why don't you try it on a small piece before investing in a larger sheet.

dotski 11-21-2011 08:36 AM

i tried felt didn't work so good....

catladyquilts 11-21-2011 08:46 AM

I found felt works very well, got it on sale and holds the fabric better than flannel. the one I got I think was 72" wide so I only needed a couple yards to have a large design wall

babyboomerquilter 11-21-2011 09:03 AM

Sounds like something to try, just to see. I will give it a shot

deemail 11-21-2011 09:16 AM

my design wall is 1/2" styrofoam glued to a wall with just 'dots' of construction glue here and there so when it has to be removed it will be possible to clean off the glue easily. then i used spray glue on the foam...and pressed 72" poly felt (it's not real anymore) onto the foam. the foam comes in 4 x 8' sheets so i got 8 x 8 with 2 pcs and needed 2 lengths of felt to cover the whole wall section. i thought the felt was a little too smooth so i used a scrub brush to bring up the nap and it works great. I think it isn't as 'nappy' as wool felt in the first place, but i think a lot of the nap was just crushed on the bolt... brushing it worked great and if something is getting too heavy as more and more blocks are joined, i can always pin into the foam....

mucky 11-21-2011 09:19 AM

What kind of glue did you use that can be removed?

EllenwoodGa 11-21-2011 09:40 AM

I'm using the back of a plastic table cloth, and that works fairly well. It's attached to the wall with those removable sticky pads that have velcro on the other side,these are easily removed. Please let us know how the felt works for U.