Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using Polyester thread to quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-polyester-thread-quilt-t173700.html)

mamaw 12-30-2011 05:37 PM

I use Gutermann poly thread to piece and to quilt and am very pleased with the results. My Horizon is also very happy with the thread. The shop that recommended it, has been in business for 30 years and the owner uses it in her projects also. Not much lint and great end results. To my knowledge, it is NOT true that polyester thread cuts cotton fabrics. This gal also sold me my machine.

VickyS 12-30-2011 05:50 PM

I use whatever I have or can get, mostly donated thread. For years, the only thing available was Coats & Clarke and it worked just fine.

My first quilt made with cotton/poly fabric solids back in the 70's was made with 100% cotton thread that I found someplace. I made a massive 100" square quilt, and tied the quilt 12" apart (using an old 100% polyester blanket for the batting).

Guess what? The moment I finished the quilt, the seams started popping. I never did get the quilt to stay together. It has had broken seams for 40+ years now. I wish I had used cotton/poly on it. I'll never fix it because it is the only quilt my grandma and I worked on together. She and I tied it and I really don't want to tear all of that apart to fix it.

I'm now using Aurifil and loving it, and still using up the stash of Coats and Clarke I have from 3 generations of sewers. Just use it and make up your own mind on when to use it. All the rest is opinion.

ghostrider 12-30-2011 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by VickyS (Post 4825528)
I'll never fix it because it is the only quilt my grandma and I worked on together. She and I tied it and I really don't want to tear all of that apart to fix it.

It'd be very easy to blind stitch all the open seams and you wouldn't have to take anything apart in order to do it. It's just like hand stitching the binding on a quilt. Easy, relaxing, and no "tearing apart". :)

thepolyparrot 12-31-2011 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 4825658)
It'd be very easy to blind stitch all the open seams and you wouldn't have to take anything apart in order to do it. It's just like hand stitching the binding on a quilt. Easy, relaxing, and no "tearing apart". :)

I would take this route, too. And then I would quilt the heck out of the whole thing to get the stress off of the seams and keep them from popping any more. :) This will help preserve this keepsake that you treasure.

For the OP: Go ahead and use your beautiful threads! You aren't breaking any rules and you're not going to hurt your quilt at all by using polyester thread. :)

crashnquilt 12-31-2011 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by mom2boyz (Post 4825239)
I'm glad to see this thread as I am still so very hazy about thread and needles. One quilt teacher said to only use cotton thread as she had seen seams just pop when she used poly. What really has me concerned is that our local Bernina dealer said DO NOT use thread by Connecting Threads (there is a certain brand by them that I can't think of right now) as it has a coating on it and he can tell when he cleans the machines and charges $20 extra for scraping the coating off. Come to find out, this is exactly the thread that my quilting teacher uses. The Bernina dealer is very opinionated and thinks he knows best about a lot of things but- does he know best about this?

I found this post most interesting. The only coated thread is HAND QUILTING THREAD. I have used thread from CONNECTING THREADS a lot (because she has some really good sales!) and have NEVER had a problem with it. Some people don't know this but the woman that owns and operates CONNECTING THREADS is a longarm quilter! Actually her quilting is so beautiful I prefer to call her a longarm artist. I met her on another forum many years ago, long before she started CONNECTING THREADS. I do support her business as much as possible because she has done very diligent research and a lot of her products are MADE IN THE USA!!!!!!!!
Now if that tech is "scraping the coating off", then I don't think I would be using him as a tech! Does gunk get built up in the tension disks? If the owner doesn't do proper cleaning, yep it does. Where does the gunk come from? EVERYWHERE! Moisture from our hands, dust and humidity in the air, the moisture from our breathing at the machine, just about anywhere that you have not imagined!
Cleaning the tension disks is fairly easy. Get UNWAXED DENTAL TAPE, the tape not floss. Cut off a length of tape that you can handle easily. Mine is about 36" long. Tie knots in the tape about every 1 to 2 inches apart. Not big knots, just one tie will do. During your regular cleaning routine, "floss" the knotted tape thru your tension disks a few times. Voila, you have a clean path thru the tension disks! I learned this trick in a machine maintenance class taught by a highly qualified Pfaff tech. BTW, the best "tool" to use when cleaning lint from your machine is......believe it or not.....CHENILLE PIPE CLEANERS. Yep, the ones you get in the kids crafts. Super cheap and they do a fantastic job of getting out lint in the places a brush can not go!