Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using Sheets in Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-sheets-quilting-t102468.html)

grugirl 02-23-2011 04:11 PM

I am curious to know if anyone uses sheets in their quilting and what for? I know some folks use them for backing but I have read/heard somewhere that if you have your quilt prof. quilted, sheets bind up the machine or make it skip stitches? Is this true? Also, does anyone ever cut it out for scraps? I use a lot of sheets for rugs and have lots of end pieces left that are in good shape. These are usually obtained from the thrift store and I only buy good strong sheets that are not worn out.

FQ Stash Queen 02-23-2011 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by grugirl
I am curious to know if anyone uses sheets in their quilting and what for? I know some folks use them for backing but I have read/heard somewhere that if you have your quilt prof. quilted, sheets bind up the machine or make it skip stitches? Is this true? Also, does anyone ever cut it out for scraps? I use a lot of sheets for rugs and have lots of end pieces left that are in good shape. These are usually obtained from the thrift store and I only buy good strong sheets that are not worn out.

Sheets tend to have a different thread count than good cotton quilting fabric. When you put two different fabrics like that together, the results may not be what you want. I have used them for hand quilting, however.

hazeljane 02-23-2011 04:19 PM

I use good quality 200-250 thread count sheets. (Not sateen unless for backing) for background fabric- whites, for example on a 30's quilt. I almost always use sheets for backing. I go to a discount store like Ross or TJM or Marshalls, and see what they have.

I machine quilt mine on a frame. Used to just machine quilt on a short arm machine. Never had an issue. Our grandmas used all kinds of stuff in their quilts. If there is a big difference in the fabrics, like a homespun and a 250 thread count, you may have some issues, but I have no issues using sheets with quality quilting fabrics at all.

The quilt police sometimes have a different view- but i say go for it.

grugirl 02-23-2011 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
I use good quality 200-250 thread count sheets. (Not sateen unless for backing) for background fabric- whites, for example on a 30's quilt. I almost always use sheets for backing. I go to a discount store like Ross or TJM or Marshalls, and see what they have.

I machine quilt mine on a frame. Used to just machine quilt on a short arm machine. Never had an issue. Our grandmas used all kinds of stuff in their quilts. If there is a big difference in the fabrics, like a homespun and a 250 thread count, you may have some issues, but I have no issues using sheets with quality quilting fabrics at all.

The quilt police sometimes have a different view- but i say go for it.

LOL... at the quilt police comment but so true. Not a problem sounds good. I was just curious as I came across a fantastic quilting pattern at the top of one and was thinking about saving it for something.

jajudd24 02-23-2011 04:26 PM

I have used sheets in lap quilts or twin size....but larger..I use muslin or cotton....

pennyj123 02-23-2011 04:29 PM

gday, i have read that purchasing sheets and blankets for wadding is a good way to practice the FMQ and it can be turned into a throw over for anything.

Will you share the quilting pattern with us. am curious at what you might like to make. :)

Ramona Byrd 02-23-2011 04:54 PM

I'm getting to the end of a quilt for my daughter's class room, two of them in fact. Most of the patterns for ice cream cones come from lovely colored sheets and medical scrubs. The scrubs have the most yummy solid colors, and so do a lot of sheets. At a thrift store last week I got several gorgeous green ones, from a pale green to a lovely deep mint green, for one daughter who loves green in her house. They were $2.99 each and on a Saturday everything there was half off!!! Pure cotton with only one exception, and the feel of it was like cotton, I don't expect any problems with them. I couldn't go off and leave them there for someone who didn't love them, could I?

Shelbie 02-23-2011 05:08 PM

Sheeting works well for machine quilting either on the front or the back. For a quick quilt, I have often used a sheet on the front and back with polydown batting and they wash and wear very well. These are the quilts my kids dragged to the cottage or sleepovers or into the tent in the back yard. Pieces of sheeting can be mixed with other cotton yardage and I didn't notice anything different when I quilted them.

CarrieAnne 02-23-2011 05:20 PM

I have used sheets for backing...nice because you dont have to peice them!

linda701 02-23-2011 05:29 PM

Was wondering myself if they would work.