Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using starch in quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-starch-quilting-t74925.html)

Nancy Jean 11-07-2010 01:42 PM

Is there a tutorial on using starch in making your quilt? I could not find it, but noticed people talking about it.

EasyPeezy 11-07-2010 02:26 PM

I don't think there's a tutorial but there are lots of threads about starch.
Some use StaFlo, some use Mary Ellen's Best Press and some use
cornstarch. You can do a search for starch and you will find all kinds of
information. If you need more help, don't hesitate. :)

Nancy Jean 11-07-2010 03:29 PM

Thanks, I will.

Jingle 11-07-2010 04:03 PM

I use to use starch, not anymore, I don't see the need for it.

Nancy Jean 11-07-2010 04:08 PM

Thanks for the information.

LindaM 11-07-2010 04:17 PM

Hi Nancy,

I like to starch the fabric before I cut it - I spray the starch on the back, let it soak in for a minute or two, then press.

I find the starched fabric behaves better when cutting, whein sewing and definitely helps keep me from stretching the pieces when pressing after sewing them together.

Especially with half-square triangles, tube quilting, etc where you've got bias edges.

You don't have to get fancy - the spray starch you find in the laundry area of the grocery store works just fine - but there are some brands that the lqs sell - it does work well, and is lightly frangranced too (you may or may not want that). Or do a search on the board for recipes to make your own.

SittingPretty 11-07-2010 04:18 PM

Leah Day, at www.daystyledesigns.com, has a you tube type of video that shows just how to do it so it's done thoroughly.

LindaM 11-07-2010 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by SittingPretty
Leah Day, at www.daystyledesigns.com, has a you tube type of video that shows just how to do it so it's done thoroughly.

Leah suggests starching the front, pressing the back - I find that spraying the back, pressing the front - if the starch is going to flake, it's not going to be on the front. Personal preference :)

SuziC 11-07-2010 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by LindaM

Originally Posted by SittingPretty

Leah suggests starching the front, pressing the back - I find that spraying the back, pressing the front - if the starch is going to flake, it's not going to be on the front. Personal preference :)

I hadn't thought of that...thanks i will do it that way from now on

sahm4605 11-07-2010 04:36 PM

I just soak my fabric and the let it dry completely and then iron the snot out of it so that it will be stiff as a board, fold and on all the folds I iron them flat as can be. this way when I go to cut it I have four layers I am cutting threw. But this is just me. and it is probably being done wrong, but it works for me. you should try a few different ways of using starch and find the one you like best.