Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using washable glue to match seams. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-washable-glue-match-seams-t128246.html)

quilt1950 06-05-2011 11:25 AM

I recently posted a topic regarding my frustration at matching seams. Several people mentioned using washable glue on the seam, and ironing over the seam to dry the glue, and then sewing.

I can see that that would help match the seams. But, what happens when you press those seams. Will the fabric lie flat for quilting? I'm imagining all these little bumps at every seam intersection.

spinnergs 06-05-2011 11:43 AM

Using liquid elmers school glue, you should have no lumps.

DogHouseMom 06-05-2011 12:08 PM

I use a glue stick. You don't have to iron it to "set" it, and if you goof on the placement, just lift it and replace it. Doesn't muck up my needle or machine.

However, sometimes the glue application will go beyond the 1/4" seam allowance. When I open the fabric to iron it sometimes I have to use my fingernail to make sure I've opened it to the seam instead of fabric glued together. The other word of caution is that I use an old iron with a cover on it because I don't want glue mucking up my new iron.

I buy Office Max brand glue sticks which box indicates both "permanent" and "washes from fabric". I also did a check to make sure it washes out before I continued.

carrieg 06-05-2011 12:12 PM

The trick is to use a very fine line of glue.

TonnieLoree 06-05-2011 12:18 PM

Hmm. Never heard of using glue to match seams. I guess this is a new trick for an old dog.

EasyPeezy 06-05-2011 12:19 PM

I don't use glue to match seams. I think that would really slow me
down...not that I break any speed record by any means. LOL
I prefer to starch my fabric and use pins. So far I'm happy how my
seams match. I use glue only for binding.
I guess you have to try different methods and see what works for you.

Painiacs 06-05-2011 12:23 PM

I use Almere and no lumps. I saw a tute on here about using tips of mechanical pencils in tip of glue so u get little dots of glue. Gotta go to dollar store and get some to try!!

Painiacs 06-05-2011 12:24 PM

Elmers glue! Darn auto check!!

fabric_fancy 06-05-2011 12:24 PM

if you can't match them just by sewing then use a dab of glue it works every time

BfloDd 06-05-2011 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
I don't use glue to match seams. I think that would really slow me
down...not that I break any speed record by any means. LOL
I prefer to starch my fabric and use pins. So far I'm happy how my
seams match. I use glue only for binding.
I guess you have to try different methods and see what works for you.

Me too! I waited too many years to geta really great sewing macine-now have two-not willing to sew with glue although one of the owners of the. LQS I bought my machines at uses it like crazy.