Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   using wax paper or freezer paper when you sew!! great hint!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-wax-paper-freezer-paper-when-you-sew-great-hint-t15614.html)

bebe 01-20-2009 06:40 AM

Did you know that usung a piece of wax paper between the pieces of fabric you are sewing keeps them from sliding around?

Once the pieces have been sewn, tear the wax paper away.

Using wax paper or freezer paper under your sewing on
top of the feed dogs. It will allow the fabric to glide
right through your machine.

Great to do when you are sewing curves.

Ironing pieces right sides together will make them
stick together when you sew them.

You may not need to pin smaller pieces.

A friend of mine told me this and i thought it was a good idea and pass it on. Try it!!!!

stitchinMamaw 01-20-2009 07:18 AM

Thanks Bebe . I never heard this tip before . But the first tip , doesn't the wax paper slide ?

Did you know that usung a piece of wax paper between the pieces of fabric you are sewing keeps them from sliding around?

Excuse me I don't know how to do the rectangular one the other members do .

I have used wax paper for lots of things , I'll have to try this . Annie

retrogirl02 01-20-2009 10:46 AM

I'll have to play around with this tip, Bebe. THanks so much for sharing it. I'm so new to applique as you know and thinking of doing a F&P show quilt soon that this would really be helpful for...when you iron wax paper it is for a temporary "adhesive"---doesn't it leave wax on the fabric? Sorry so clueless, this is all new to me.

trugger 03-09-2009 11:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ha!
After looking at grocery stores and 3 other walmarts, I finally found the freezer paper....

It's a huge roll and it even says, "make quilt appliques" on the box!

butterflywing 03-09-2009 11:57 AM

you can be sure that since it says 'make quilt appliques' the price will go up!

trugger - take a close look at the sides of the box. see if there is a perforated shape that is meant to be pushed in to keep the roll from pulling out of the box when you unroll it. some brands of roll wrappings have it.

sewjoyce 03-09-2009 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by trugger
Ha!
After looking at grocery stores and 3 other walmarts, I finally found the freezer paper....

It's a huge roll and it even says, "make quilt appliques" on the box!

Hopefully they didn't raise the price when they put that bit about making quilt appliques on the box.... :roll: :roll:

Up North 03-09-2009 03:33 PM

The make Quilt appliques is new my box doesn't say that!

youme 03-09-2009 03:38 PM

what is freezer paper exactly like?
Is it possible to substitute with cooking sheet (the paper you put under the cookie doughs when you bake in the oven)
We don't have any freezer paper in the store here.

sandpat 03-09-2009 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by youme
what is freezer paper exactly like?
Is it possible to substitute with cooking sheet (the paper you put under the cookie doughs when you bake in the oven)
We don't have any freezer paper in the store here.

The freezer paper is shiny on one side and you would iron that side to your applique fabric to make it stick. I saw a deal on Alex Anderson's old show one time about using the Parchment paper in place of the ironing "sheets" for applique. I bought some to use but haven't tried it out.

This all sounds like great tips! Thanks everyone!

littlehud 03-09-2009 05:37 PM

I have heard this before but have never tried it. I ask the same question, doesn't the wax paper make it slip.