Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Very new quilter takes on ambitious project (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/very-new-quilter-takes-ambitious-project-t116777.html)

adrianne14219 04-17-2011 07:58 AM

I am a VERY new quilter. I am in the process of making an applique "memory" quilt for my daughter who moved from Michigan (home) to Boston.

My questions is this: The blocks I am putting together are 12 x12. Can I machine quilt them separately and then sew them all together? I am not sure if I am making myself clear, so I will try to explain.

I woud like to applique the top material together with the batting and the backing block by block. The reason is that I have a difficult time machine quilting the entire twin bed sized quilt after the fact.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

grann of 6 04-17-2011 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by adrianne14219
I am a VERY new quilter. I am in the process of making an applique "memory" quilt for my daughter who moved from Michigan (home) to Boston.

My questions is this: The blocks I am putting together are 12 x12. Can I machine quilt them separately and then sew them all together? I am not sure if I am making myself clear, so I will try to explain.

I woud like to applique the top material together with the batting and the backing block by block. The reason is that I have a difficult time machine quilting the entire twin bed sized quilt after the fact.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

They are called QAYG (Quilt As You Go) and yes, you can do that. Do a search for them and you will find a tutorial, if I remember right. You can also google and find many topics on them. Good Luck and have lots of fun!

jlm5419 04-17-2011 08:02 AM

Yes, it can be done, but it takes planning and patience. There are tutorials out there that will show you how to go about it. Just do a search.

adrianne14219 04-17-2011 08:37 AM

Thank you very much! I will search out tutorials.

amma 04-17-2011 09:09 AM

I can't wait to see this quilt :D:D:D

debbieumphress 04-17-2011 09:12 AM

Applique is a challenge to this seasoned quilter. LOL. Good for you. Jump right in and enjoy. QAYG is fun. You could pm Craftbear as she has tons of sites to learn from. She might pop in here. Welcome to the QB by the way. Lots to learn here and friends to make. HUGS♥♥

BeeNana 04-17-2011 09:16 AM

Welcome. I was going to suggest to do a search here on the QB. Lots of info here.

AliKat 04-17-2011 09:22 AM

I agree you will love the QAYG with these blocks. Remember keep them bigger than you want them to be finished so you can square them up after you finish the block quilting.

Just watched the Carol Doak video on paper piecing and she has a neat method of QAYG, too. I bought one off the net so I could add it to my resource collection. I never got one of her books, but you can always look at them at the LQS's. Or maybe a quilting buddy has it.

ali

neeng 04-17-2011 12:56 PM

Lots of good tutorials on this board for QAYG, several different methods. Good luck! And welcome to the board!