Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Very Old Quilt Blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/very-old-quilt-blocks-t34524.html)

jljack 01-19-2010 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Wasn't cedar used originally to keep moths out of winter wollens?

Yes, that was exactly the original intent. We have cedar lined closets in our house that was built in 1940. It's to keep bugs out....silver fish, moths, etc.

yourstrulyquilts 01-19-2010 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Wasn't cedar used originally to keep moths out of winter wollens?

Lockeb 01-19-2010 03:13 PM

For those family souvenirs...those antique blocks - I would personally have them mounted and framed...what a stunnng showcase of artwork they would be!

yourstrulyquilts 01-19-2010 03:27 PM

I know what happens to fabric, but don't know how to work the computer very well!! LOL I had it written to post, then lost the answer!. Well, here we go again.
The heavy scent of cedar is thought to mask the scent of wool, which is the target for egg-laying moths, effectively preventing her from laying her eggs. It doesn't repel them so much as it confuses the scent, in which case lavender, tansy, or rosemary will work as well. There is very little evidence that cedar actually works. The damage to wool is caused by the moth larvae, not the moth itself. The Eastern Red Cedar will kill small larvae over time in an airtight cabinet.

The real problem with storing fabric directly on the wood in a cedar chest, is that the lignon in the wood is an acid and will weaken the fabric over time and turn it yellow. So it's a very good idea to wrap those precious quilts and blocks in acid-free paper and store them in a plastic box. I'll have to research the effects of the cedar scent on fabric, because I don't know if there is any effect at all.

Ninnie 01-19-2010 03:37 PM

The best way to store quilts is on an unused bed. You can place them on the bed, and then cover them with a bedspread, and you will not have fold lines in them. And no light will get to them, but air will

amma 01-19-2010 03:41 PM

I like the idea of using them in smaller quilts to be admired. The bigger the quilt, the more stress on the fabrics if it is displayed even carefully.
I can't wait to see them, and what your decision is :D:D:D

yourstrulyquilts 01-19-2010 03:56 PM

This is true, if you have an extra bed. If you do have to fold the quilts, fold them into a long piece, then roll them and tie it with a piece of fabric, and store them in a pillow case or acid-free paper.

nancya 01-20-2010 07:23 AM

Honestly, they have been stored in a cedar chest for around 50 years without an detrimental affect. I never heard of this, but the opposite. Cedar was always used by my Grandmother for storing anything fabric. Interesting....

Jingle 01-20-2010 08:22 AM

I have stuff - quilt,comforter blankets and such stored in a cedar chest, in heavy laundry bags. Some blankets weren't in the bags and I don't see anything wrong with them. I washed and dried them and are now in use and they seem fine to me. These were in there probably 15 or so years.

Pineapple Princess 01-20-2010 09:56 AM

Is it just cedar? I have a huge maple cradle my dad made for me when I was born that I store my quilts in. Right now, they're all in bags, but I was wondering...