Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Viking Designer I Embroidery Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/viking-designer-i-embroidery-machine-t168505.html)

peacequiltingnana 11-16-2011 09:49 AM

Viking Designer I Embroidery Machine

I have been having a friend do any embroidery work I want on any of my quilts. I've reached the point I really like the embroidery work. Now I have the opportunity to purchase a used Viking Designer I Embroidery Machine for $1200. I've checked on the internet and this seems to be a fair price. I'm looking for information on the quality of the embroidery and any consistent problems with this machine - like tension, etc. I would appreciate any information/advise anyone could give me.

pamesue 11-16-2011 09:54 AM

I have the D1 and the Rose.... I love them both...I use the Rose for my sewing/quilting and the D1 for my embroidery. I have never had any problems with either of them and I've had the D1 for about 6 years and the Rose for about 13-14 years.

labtechkty 11-16-2011 10:08 AM

I love mine!!! Had it for 5 or so years and no problems yet...Stitches out great...

mighty 11-16-2011 11:06 AM

I have one and I love it.

institches64 11-16-2011 12:38 PM

My mom and I bought one of these used about 3 yrs ago. Love it, no problems with it!

wolph33 11-16-2011 12:54 PM

you will love it

Lucio 11-16-2011 01:36 PM

I bought mine 8 years ago and have never used it to it's full potential. Shortly after that I bought the Janome MC 6500 for the larger harp so I use the Designer 1 only for the embroidery. This is a real waste of money because the Designer cost almost $6,000 at that time. I've kicked myself ever since for not just buying an excellent embroidery only machine. The only problem I have had with the embroidery unit is that a gear slipped off and caused a terrible bird's nest jumble so into the shop it went. It was still under warrently so no cost to me. It really does a great job embroidering, especially the designs from emblibrary .com. If you are also going to get the hoop that allows you to quilt you will have to have an adjustment to accomodate that hoop. I think I paid $35 for that. Make sure you get the dongle that goes with the embroidery unit!!! Keep in mind that this machine uses floppy disks which is pretty much stone age technology.

Fraew 11-16-2011 01:48 PM

I am happy with mine and looking for a reasonably priced D1 or D2 for my backup machine. I have been following the prices on eBay for about a month. Many have sold for less than $1200 recently. Good luck.

Connie in CO 11-16-2011 02:39 PM

Sorry i don't have a Viking but it sure is fun to download free embroidery designs.

ckcowl 11-16-2011 03:04 PM

i bought my Designer 1 in 2005- and have been quite happy with it- it has served it's purpose well. i have had it in to the dealer for service a couple times over the years- but nothing serious has been an issue.