Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Vintage love/modern feature lusting dilemna (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/vintage-love-modern-feature-lusting-dilemna-t238856.html)

profannie 01-14-2014 07:38 PM

Vintage love/modern feature lusting dilemna

2 Attachment(s)
I have been hit by the vintage bug last year and I got a nice Singer 15-91 in a cabinet. The harp size is quite roomy, and it is really fast! I'm working here on a twin size quilt, and I'm not struggling at all.

I also have a Bernina Artista 730 with the BSR, but the harp is a short 7.5, so I have found that the best combinaison is to "stabilize" my quilt with the 15-91 or use it for design made with a simple walking foot. Then I free motion with the Bernina all the area where I want a more complex or detailed design.
I also have a Featherweight (for piecing) and a old Bernina 831 (for general sewing).
My dilemna right now is to replace or not the Singer 15-91 by a modern mechanical straight sticher (Juki 20-10/Brother Q-1500/Pfaff Grand Quilter).

I must say I don't love my Singer 15-91 like I love my vintage Bernina. What I feel is more like the respect for an excellent tool, still performing flawlessly after more than 50 years. I certainly appreciate that. And each time I use it, I'm amazed by how well it sew without any fuss.

The only thing I miss when I'm using the Singer 15-91 are the "modern" feature that I'm so happy to have on the Bernina: thread cutter/ tying off/ needle up/down. I know, it's silly. But I make a lots of start and stop in my designs.

The Singer 15-91 is fast; faster than the Bernina for sure. But is it doing 1500s/m? If I compare with my serger, I don't think so. Maybe more 1000/1200s/m.

Anyway, I'm torn. Rationnaly, it seems stupid to replace a perfectly performing 50$ machine for one that will cost 500$. So why am I itching to do it?

dunster 01-14-2014 07:58 PM

hmmm... the 15-91 will be performing just as well in another 50 years as it does today. Can you say the same for the more modern machines?

Rodney 01-14-2014 08:09 PM

The best argument I have is your 50 year old machine will still perform just as well 50 years from now with nothing more than basic maintenance. I'm not sure we can say the same about modern machines. I'd keep it and get the modern one too if I really wanted one.
Rodney

Rodney 01-14-2014 08:10 PM

Dunster beat me to it while I was still typing.
Rodney

stillclock 01-14-2014 08:12 PM

i can't really understand why you desire this.

but then...no one can truly understand the desire of another.

i do know that sometimes it is worthy to really think about want versus need, or in this case, why you are not satisfied with what you have. what you have is a selection of tools that perform beautifully, meet your needs and are paid for in full, both cash wise and in an environmental cost sense.

so....buying a new, mid to high level machine seems to me to be about something other than the tool. maybe you want to know what that is, maybe you don't. only you can say.

aileen

stillclock 01-14-2014 08:16 PM

i suspect though that you could easily talk yourself into a need position in regards to "modern" features such as needle up/down etc.

welcome to late capitalism!

aileen

Prism99 01-14-2014 08:26 PM

I used to collect vintage machines, but then realized all I was doing was dusting them off because I preferred to actually sew on my Bernina 1230 (which has a foot-controlled needle up/down). Vintage was a phase I enjoyed for a long time. I sold most of my vintage machines to a collector who was just starting out and have never regretted doing so. Not everything is forever, so I say go with the machine that will give you the greatest enjoyment using!

Edit: I would advise keeping the old machine, though, until you are sure you prefer using the new one. Once you are sure, sell the old machine to someone who will value it!

Dolphyngyrl 01-14-2014 08:35 PM

I am a modern girl myself, but I say do what feels right for you. vintage is not for everyone. If you are not feeling your singer why keep it

Mitch's mom 01-15-2014 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 6513282)
I used to collect vintage machines, but then realized all I was doing was dusting them off because I preferred to actually sew on my Bernina 1230 (which has a foot-controlled needle up/down). Vintage was a phase I enjoyed for a long time. I sold most of my vintage machines to a collector who was just starting out and have never regretted doing so. Not everything is forever, so I say go with the machine that will give you the greatest enjoyment using!

Edit: I would advise keeping the old machine, though, until you are sure you prefer using the new one. Once you are sure, sell the old machine to someone who will value it!

This is true for me also - except I don't have a Bernina :(. I did keep a 15-91 because it is my favorite vintage machine and a feather weight because it was a gift - otherwise - I like my bells and whistles. I really like my Brother PQ1500S. I know it may not be here in 10 or 15 years but I'll have got my use from it by then.

Scrappy Gram 01-15-2014 03:49 AM

You said:
"My dilemna right now is to replace or not the Singer 15-91 by a modern mechanical straight sticher (Juki 20-10/Brother Q-1500/Pfaff Grand Quilter). "

I have the Juki TL98E which is a previous model of the 2010 and love it for piecing and FMQ. I have great speed control with it, love the needle up/down, thread trimmer, knee lift.

I use my computerized machine for other sewing, but the Juki is great for quilting.

Debbie