Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Virtual Quilting Retreat quilt along (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/virtual-quilting-retreat-quilt-along-t214011.html)

auntpiggylpn 02-21-2013 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dedemac (Post 5879115)
I need a Retreat! Doing a mat for my Grand Puppy. Hope it will not be to difficult to use a heaver fabric. I have a fair amount of flannel's that I need to use up. Here are my colors.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]396991[/ATTACH]

Perfect color choices and fabric for a grand puppy!

Emma S 02-22-2013 06:08 AM

Dedmac: Great choices for a puppy! Do you use a 1/2 inch seam allowance for flannel?

Off subject: Just had to say, Love your avatar. Is that paper pieced?

Sapphire_Rae 02-22-2013 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got off work early today and started right in on this retreat. I have my pieces cut, except for the binding, not sure which fabric I'll use yet.

CarolynMT 02-22-2013 03:11 PM

Ok, hope everyone is getting started on their virtual quilt retreat :) I will be hanging out in the chat room all night and watching here if there are any questions

ENJOY!

SouthPStitches 02-22-2013 03:36 PM

Fabrics chosen from stash and all cut.

Dedemac 02-22-2013 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S (Post 5879843)
Dedmac: Great choices for a puppy! Do you use a 1/2 inch seam allowance for flannel?

Off subject: Just had to say, Love your avatar. Is that paper pieced?

Thank you, Emma

Yes is was, It's going to be a wall hanging about 2 feet square. When I get enough nerve to try and quilt it, I will post a finished picture. It is a BOM from the 2012 Craftsy course that just kept morphing. Most of the fabrics are non cottons, so there is a backer mesh that I used to hold everything together.

I was planning to do the standard 1/4 inch seam on the flannel do I need to make it wider??? Still learning about quilting spent most of my life sewing clothes, used to 5/8 inch seams.

CarolynMT 02-22-2013 04:41 PM

It is traditional to use a wider seam on flannels because they unravel more than cotton does. that would mean you would need to add 1/2inch to all measurements on the pieces. I made a quilt with flannel and just did 1/4 in seams, it seemed to be ok, they were all heavily woven, not loose. The choice is yours, but I might go with the thicker seam, due to it being a dog blanket and most likely getting washed more often than a bed quilt or throw.

auntpiggylpn 02-22-2013 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I guess I don't follow directions very well :p. I cut all my pieces out but didn't take any pictures and I went ahead and started sewing them together. I think I could have finished it all tonite but decided to put it away for the night. I have a paper piecing project that I really wanted to get started on so I worked on it for awhile. I'll start back up with my bath mat in the morning.

CarolynMT 02-23-2013 02:44 AM

Never let instructions limit your creativity! ;) your blocks look great so far.

This project is pretty quick, which is why I picked it for a weekend "virtual" retreat project, so that everyone will get to start and finish the project in one weekend.

I am planning on doing a couple more and giving them to nieces/nephew for christmas. I am going to get a towel set (bath, hand, face) and add a trim of the left over fabrics to the towels, to make a complete bath set. This is a great gift idea for housewarming or to have a set for "guests" when they visit. I have alot left over since I bought extra to ensure there was enough to make the rug. But anyone stash shopping, you might have enough left over to make matching towels. a simple 2 1/2 in strip with the edges folded down and stitched right close to the edge will make a nice trim, can even play with some decorative stitches or a small row of FMQ.

thimblebug6000 02-23-2013 07:44 AM

This info is probably sitting right before my eyes, but can't see it. What size will this finish at approx? Need to check out my towels.... :rolleyes: